Status Meetings:2007-05-30:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[12:00pm] ss: Let's wait a couple more minutes and see if we can pick up smorgan or murph.
[12:01pm] peeja|out joined the chat room.
[12:01pm] peeja|out was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] peeja|out is now known as peeja.
[12:06pm] ss: Well, let's get started.
[12:06pm] ss: Camino 1.5:
[12:06pm] ss: We're ready with the en-US version.
[12:06pm] ss: The Gecko release is today, which means we could, theoretically, release today.
[12:07pm] ss: One problem with that is that the ML build isn't quite ready and the website isn't either.
[12:07pm] ss: I propose we release without the website being ready.
[12:07pm] pinkerton: what changes would hve to be made to the current website?
[12:07pm] ss: Just some version # changes
[12:07pm] ardissone|food: support can be uploaded as is
[12:07pm] ss: It'd take an hour or two as it is.
[12:07pm] ardissone|food: i made all my changes there to the old files
[12:07pm] ss: But the new site would take a few more days of me working on that to get it there.
[12:08pm] ss: Yeah
[12:08pm] pinkerton: seems like a shame to not have a list of new features ready on the front page, at least
[12:08pm] ardissone|food: we can do that
[12:08pm] ss: Hm, well
[12:08pm] pinkerton: like, oh, spellcheck?
[12:08pm] ardissone|food: that's 5-10 mins
[12:08pm] ardissone|food: that bullet list?
[12:08pm] ss: We could release a new front page
[12:08pm] ss: That was separate and only had the download link.
[12:08pm] ss: No support or anything. Put up "coming soon" pages or something.
[12:08pm] mento: how long will it take to change the numbers on the current site?
[12:08pm] ss: Because we do have in-product links that can't break.
[12:08pm] ss: mento: An hour or two, max.
[12:09pm] ardissone|food: i'd rather incrementally rev the existing front page than that
[12:09pm] mento: leave the existing front page and site, bump the numbers, and list some 1.5 features on the main page?
[12:10pm] pinkerton: yeah
[12:10pm] ss: Yeah, that'd be fine.
[12:10pm] mento: all opposed?
[12:10pm] mento: k
[12:10pm] ardissone|food: yeah, that's good
[12:10pm] ardissone|food: bug 382331 is really making the finished MLs suck
[12:10pm] ardissone|food: if you haven't been follwoing
[12:10pm] ss: Right, so the one last thing we need to decide is when to actually release.
[12:11pm] ss: If we want to wait for ML a little longer, I think they're almost ready
[12:11pm] pinkerton: didn't we give them a deadline?
[12:11pm] ss: We can give them 'til Monday or something and release on Tuesday
[12:11pm] ss: We did
[12:11pm] ss: They had problems, as that bug shows.
[12:11pm] ardissone|food: the build exists, but that bug sucks
[12:11pm] ss: Right
[12:11pm] pinkerton: a button?
[12:11pm] pinkerton: that's it?
[12:11pm] pinkerton: really?
[12:12pm] ardissone|food: you want that to be the first thing you see?
[12:12pm] ss: Literally.
[12:12pm] ardissone|food: text that doesn't fit right?
[12:12pm] ss: The first thing.
[12:12pm] pinkerton: hm
[12:12pm] ss: It's right on top and everything.
[12:12pm] pinkerton: why can't they just make it fit?
[12:12pm] ardissone|food: we hard-coded crap in code
[12:13pm] ardissone|food: according to smrogan
[12:13pm] ardissone|food: (it's a code dialogue)
[12:13pm] ardissone|food: so they're changing button text
[12:13pm] ardissone|food: to make it fit
[12:13pm] pinkerton: why did we do that?
[12:13pm] ardissone|food: don't ask me 
[12:13pm] mento: deal with a short string for now, move it into a nib, i'd argue, for 1.5.1
[12:14pm] ardissone|food: get rid of it for `.6 
[12:14pm] pinkerton: what guarantee do we have that ML will be done by monday?
[12:14pm] pinkerton: probably 0%?
[12:15pm] ardissone|food: 6 of 11 have already sent changes to marcello
[12:15pm] ss: Well, we can release without them, but this really does suck, overall. Our first run experience should be good, not bad.
[12:15pm] ss: Yeah
[12:15pm] ss: They're coming in fast
[12:15pm] ss: And the ones that don't, he can just leave out
[12:15pm] ardissone|food: or look at the string fro 1.0
[12:15pm] ss: Right
[12:16pm] pinkerton: so june 5, about a week before wwdc
[12:16pm] ss: Yeah
[12:16pm] pinkerton: basically slip a week
[12:16pm] ss: Basically. A little less
[12:16pm] ss: We wouldn't release today anyway
[12:16pm] ss: We'd do it tomorrow or Friday.
[12:16pm] pinkerton: ah
[12:17pm] pinkerton: ok then, let's do tuesday, hell or high water, ML or not
[12:17pm] pinkerton: we can have the website ready then, yes?
[12:17pm] ss: Yes.
[12:17pm] pinkerton: ok
[12:17pm] ss: Or rather "ready" in the sense we said above. 
[12:17pm] mento: wfm
[12:17pm] pinkerton: k next?
[12:17pm] ss: Moving on?
[12:17pm] ss: 1.0.5
[12:17pm] ss: We should try and get that out in the next two weeks.
[12:18pm] ss: But WWDC will almost certainly get in the way
[12:18pm] pinkerton: in the way of engineering, or in the way of press?
[12:18pm] ss: Engineering
[12:18pm] ss: We don't need much press for 1.0.5
[12:18pm] ss: It's just our last 10.2 release
[12:18pm] ardissone|food: 10.2, we love you, but bye
[12:18pm] pinkerton: that's what i figured
[12:19pm] ss: Everything's about ready, just need a couple more reviews and such.
[12:19pm] ardissone|food: murph's patch has r/sr now
[12:19pm] ss: Hopefully we can knock that out and get it out there.
[12:19pm] ardissone|food: not sure if the changes need to be made before checkin or not
[12:19pm] ss: Yeah, the long standing old bug is finally fixed.
[12:19pm] pinkerton: ok, we'll just see what we can do
[12:19pm] ss: (bug 175651)
[12:19pm] ardissone|food: well, work-ed around
[12:19pm] ss: Sure
[12:20pm] ardissone|food: i'll finish relnotes this weekend
[12:20pm] ss: Sounds good
[12:20pm] ss: Next, 1.6...
[12:20pm] ardissone|food: smorgan says they can just use the 1.5 nib full-stop
[12:20pm] ss: There's a link in the wiki of the 1.6 planning page. http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Development:Planning:Camino_1.6
[12:21pm] ss: That's the overall plan, based one some things we talked about.
[12:21pm] ss: If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to say them. 
[12:21pm] pinkerton: has the whining about the tab scrolling been silenced, or are we still dealing with "i'll never upgrade, you suck" debates?
[12:21pm] ss: This really should be a quick update if we can get out a couple new features.
[12:21pm] ss: There was whining? If it was significant, I think it got silenced after Firefox 2.
[12:22pm] pinkerton: i saw some on the mailing list
[12:22pm] ardissone|food: i've heard no more, but smorgan seemed to promise some way to disable it
[12:22pm] ss: Oh, heh
[12:22pm] ardissone|food: which seemed out-of-charaver
[12:22pm] ardissone|food: *character
[12:22pm] ardissone|food: if i understood him
[12:22pm] ardissone|food: no-one on the forum has complained, of course
[12:23pm] pinkerton: ok
[12:23pm] pinkerton: just askin'
[12:23pm] ss: And, really, I'm not sure we care. 
[12:23pm] ardissone|food: i think getting the all tabs menu just right will placate almost everyone
[12:23pm] ss: We'll retriage the bugs for 1.6 after we release 1.5.
[12:23pm] pinkerton: yeah
[12:23pm] ardissone|food: that, too 
[12:24pm] ss: Blah blah, etc etc... work on your 1.6 bugs, you know it.
[12:24pm] ss: SoC began this week.
[12:24pm] ss: Go jeff!
[12:24pm] pinkerton: yay!
[12:24pm] ss: Jeff started a blog for it
[12:24pm] ss: summerofcamino.com
[12:24pm] ss: Check it out, pay attention, and we'll see where it goes. 
[12:24pm] ss: It's a big project and I'm looking forward to it. 
[12:25pm] pinkerton: i love it when people can draw
[12:25pm] ardissone|food: look at the mockups if you haven't already
[12:25pm] ss: Tinderbox suck as normal, working on moving them still, but IT stopped caring so I'm pushing it less.
[12:25pm] mento: just need the talkback shit sorted out
[12:25pm] ss: Yeah
[12:25pm] mento: so...close...
[12:25pm] ss: Heh, we'll get there soon.
[12:26pm] ss: Queues suck right now as bugs are getting backed up.
[12:26pm] ss: The review queue has 18
[12:26pm] ardissone|food: 11 untargeted
[12:26pm] ardissone|food: er, 12
[12:26pm] ss: pink has 6 SRs to do.
[12:26pm] pinkerton: yowzah
[12:26pm] ardissone|food: froodian should be back 9 june
[12:26pm] pinkerton: i told people to poke me if it was backing up
[12:26pm] ardissone|food: one is an rs
[12:26pm] ss: Right, he'll get right on some of this when he gets back, I'm sure.
[12:27pm] ardissone|food: of a ... -> … elipsis change 
[12:27pm] ardissone|food: i told smorgan there was no need for sr on that one 
[12:28pm] ss: Beyond that, everyone work on reviews and code this week.
[12:28pm] ss: We want 1.6 to be done soon.
[12:29pm] pinkerton: what' the # on that, i'll do it right now?
[12:29pm] ss: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378544
[12:29pm] ardissone|food: bug 378544:
[12:30pm] pinkerton: done
[12:30pm] ss: Alright, anyone have anything else?
[12:30pm] ardissone|food: awesome
[12:31pm] ss: Alright then, release is next Tuesday, everyone be ready for it and the increase in feedback.
[12:31pm] ss: Go out and have fun this week, but be sure to work on your reviews. 
[12:31pm] ss: Later
[12:31pm] ardissone|food: or take some reviews 
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox