Status Meetings:2008-04-23:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[03:51am] You were promoted to operator by chanserv.
[03:51am] You changed the topic to "http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2008-04-23:Agenda".
[06:17am] Simon joined the chat room.
[07:11am] Simon left the chat room. (Quit: Goodbye)
[11:45am] murph joined the chat room.
[11:56am] jeff joined the chat room.
[12:01pm] smorgan joined the chat room.
[12:01pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] jeff was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] murph was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] cl was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] delliott was promoted to operator by you.
[12:02pm] ardissone: smorgan: we expecting your compatriots?
[12:02pm] smorgan: dunno, I'll poke pink
[12:02pm] ardissone: k
[12:03pm] smorgan: no pink
[12:03pm] ardissone: k
[12:04pm] ardissone: let me get situated here and then we'll start
[12:05pm] ss left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[12:05pm] ardissone: OK
[12:06pm] ardissone: first up, earlier this month the Camino logo was registered as a trademark 
[12:06pm] ardissone: so we can now go after people abusing it 
[12:07pm] ardissone: er
[12:07pm] ardissone: everyone please open http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2008-04-23:Agenda in your Camino 1.6 or newer
[12:08pm] ardissone: in case you missed it, we released 1.6 last Thursday
[12:08pm] ardissone: as always, Om Malik really liked it 
[12:09pm] ardissone: the load was pretty deadly to the server
[12:09pm] ss joined the chat room.
[12:09pm] ss was promoted to operator by jeff.
[12:09pm] ardissone: so we're going to have to look in to making sure it can handle an update
[12:10pm] ardissone: crashes look pretty normal so far
[12:10pm] ardissone: #1 is flash, as always
[12:10pm] ardissone: #2 is that Core bug
[12:10pm] ss is now known as IRCMonkey10991.
[12:10pm] ardissone: With the libobjc crashes, though
[12:11pm] smorgan: For update load mitigation, we could consider randomizing the push if necessary...
[12:11pm] smorgan: Only say there's an update to X% of requests, and increase X over time
[12:11pm] ardissone: ew
[12:11pm] smorgan: Oh, but downloading isn't load on us
[12:11pm] smorgan: So nevermind
[12:11pm] ardissone: right
[12:12pm] ardissone: this is "connections to the website are killer"
[12:12pm] smorgan: Hopefully a security fix won't have much more load on our server than normal
[12:12pm] ardissone: here's hoping
[12:13pm] smorgan: Can we get a unique update request count later this week, perhaps?
[12:13pm] ardissone: there are 3 libobjc crashes that look and sound very much like the fixed bug 415362
[12:14pm] ardissone: dunno
[12:14pm] ardissone: ss/IRCMonkey10991: ^^^
[12:15pm] ardissone: smorgan: is it any way possible the fix doesn't work for 10.3, or have these people just gone back to a broken build and then forward again?
[12:17pm] ardissone: we also have a few crashes that look a little like one variation on the old 1passwd crasher
[12:18pm] smorgan: lemme look, sorry
[12:18pm] ardissone: but they're not exactly the same, i don't think
[12:19pm] ardissone: i never checked that after it landed 
[12:21pm] smorgan: Should work just as well for 10.3 unless there's another crash
[12:21pm] smorgan: Maybe another pane with a similar problem?
[12:21pm] ardissone: the comments and stacks all say privacy
[12:22pm] smorgan: hrm
[12:22pm] smorgan: I think we'd need a new test case then, unfortunately
[12:23pm] ardissone: the stack is slightly different, too
[12:23pm] ardissone: i'll try to see what we can get from Talkback
[12:24pm] ardissone: #4 is a crash in the descriptively named KeychainItem
[12:24pm] smorgan: ruh-roh
[12:24pm] ardissone: it's not big yet
[12:25pm] ardissone: but it didn't seem like a happy place to crash
[12:26pm] ardissone: Talkback is slower than molasses todya
[12:26pm] peeja joined the chat room.
[12:26pm] smorgan: just today? 
[12:26pm] peeja was promoted to operator by you.
[12:26pm] ardissone: it's worse than usual
[12:26pm] ardissone: much worse
[12:27pm] IRCMonkey10991 is now known as ss.
[12:27pm] ardissone: http://pastebin.mozilla.org/412481
[12:27pm] ss was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:28pm] ardissone: hrm, that's apparently the oddball one
[12:28pm] smorgan: Hm, I can see some possible crashes here if keychain items had null data where I didn't expect them to
[12:29pm] smorgan: I'll file a bug and make a patch for 1.6.1
[12:29pm] ardissone: k
[12:29pm] ardissone: so that's 1.6
[12:30pm] ss: I'll try and get update numbers today. Have to figure out how still.
[12:30pm] ardissone: oh, and the OpenSearch die thing, which was also fun
[12:30pm] ss: For 1.6.1 are we waiting until Gecko?
[12:30pm] ss: That could be a while
[12:30pm] smorgan: How long?
[12:30pm] ss: Late June
[12:30pm] ss: Mid maybe
[12:30pm] smorgan: Then no
[12:31pm] ss: It'll be after Firefox 3
[12:31pm] smorgan: I'd rather get crash fixes out soon
[12:31pm] ss: Not sure how long after though
[12:31pm] ss: I agree
[12:31pm] ardissone: mhm
[12:31pm] smorgan: Maybe wait a week or two to see what else shakes out, then go
[12:31pm] ss: Sounds good
[12:31pm] ardissone: yeah
[12:32pm] ardissone: if we do the descriptive warning, the sooner the better
[12:32pm] ardissone: (on getting that in)
[12:32pm] ardissone: anything else on 1.6?
[12:32pm] smorgan: Ship it!
[12:32pm] ardissone: done 
[12:32pm] ss: Heh
[12:32pm] ardissone: 2.0
[12:33pm] peeja left the chat room. (Quit: peeja)
[12:33pm] ardissone: we're starting to make a dent in the regressions
[12:33pm] ardissone: the big thing that's left is the security UI mess
[12:33pm] ardissone: and the stuff we won't be allowed to fix
[12:33pm] smorgan: I'll force myself to look at it sometime soon
[12:34pm] ardissone: murph: update on anti-phishing
[12:34pm] ardissone: (oh, the other thing on 1.6.x is we should have more icons soon, which we can put in 1.6.1)
[12:35pm] murph: ready with a patch in a week or two I believe; stepped back this week a bit to work on the OpenSearch parsing regressions/enhancements
[12:36pm] ss: murph: It'd be good to put a WIP up. I know you've worked hard and I'd hate for a bread truck to ruin that. 
[12:36pm] ardissone: it would be good to post a WIP on bugzilla every now and then 
[12:36pm] ardissone: haha, yeah
[12:36pm] murph: yeah, good point, I will do that...
[12:36pm] ss:
[12:36pm] ardissone: or a crazed horse
[12:36pm] murph: as a perfectionist, it's tough to submit anything that's not completely awesome
[12:36pm] ss: Haha, I understand
[12:37pm] murph: hehe, yeah, I supposed horses are my breadtrucks 
[12:37pm] smorgan: You could make a gmail account, give ardissone the password, and mail it there
[12:37pm] smorgan: And he can check the account only if you vanish 
[12:37pm] ss: Haha
[12:37pm] ss: This is sounding spy-like
[12:38pm] ardissone: next on the hot seat
[12:38pm] murph: hehe, that'll be my lock-box...
[12:38pm] ardissone: jeff!
[12:38pm] smorgan: Who knows, maybe the phishing mafia will send thugs...
[12:38pm] ardissone: jeff: how's tabsposé, and is it true you've started looking at dragging again?
[12:39pm] jeff: yea so I said I would get some of my old patched up this past week, did not finish that yet ... failed .... like I failed with getting a new SoC student  .... but patches "soon"
[12:39pm] jeff: yea I started looking into tab DnD alternatives that were discussed awhile back in #camino
[12:40pm] jeff: and I have to watch out the MBTA Busses and T ... no horses in Boston
[12:40pm] ardissone: (as you all know, we're useless because we don't support tab dragging)
[12:40pm] ardissone:
[12:41pm] cl: I discovered a ghetto way to rearrange tabs 
[12:41pm] ss: Yeah, we're getting dinged for no tab d&d. We probably "need" that in 2.0
[12:41pm] cl: you can only drag into position at the end, though 
[12:41pm] jeff: well until PayPal forces us, no tab DnD for you!
[12:41pm] cl: haha
[12:41pm] ardissone: jeff also pointed out that being buried in the MoFo list probably hurts us for people looking to do "Cocoa" rather than knowing they want to work on Camino
[12:43pm] ardissone: so next year we need to work harder on raising our Cocoa visibility
[12:43pm] ardissone: ss: any news on the mail server situation for boxset?
[12:43pm] cl: oh, we were buried in the MoFo list? I just figured none of our projects got accepted 
[12:43pm] ss: Sadly, no.
[12:44pm] smorgan: We accepted all of our applicants
[12:44pm] ss: cl: None got accepted
[12:44pm] ss: cl: But jeff thinks it's because we were harder to find
[12:44pm] ss: Err... none got submitted*
[12:45pm] ardissone: cl: any chance of you finishing CBSamplePane soon-ish?
[12:45pm] ss: But if anyone knows someone that is worth bringing on for the summer, we might be able to.
[12:45pm] ss: So let me know.
[12:46pm] cl: ardissone: not as long as my toolchain is useless for making workable nibs
[12:47pm] ardissone: and no room at the inn for X2.5?
[12:47pm] cl: Oh, yeah, I dunno whatever happened to my project to install that.
[12:47pm] cl: Probably a combination of no internets and being busy.
[12:48pm] ardissone: please mind your r queues
[12:49pm] ardissone: also, if there's some bug you think we can't ship 2.0a1 without, please nominate
[12:49pm] ardissone: there's currently 1 blocker and 3 noms
[12:50pm] ss: I wanted to talk about the meet-up again
[12:50pm] ss: I think it's worthwhile to have another one
[12:50pm] ss: But I'm not entirely sure when
[12:50pm] ss: My initial idea is, of course, after WWDC
[12:50pm] ss: But pink wasn't sure he could make it
[12:51pm] ss: Any ideas for other weekends that would work?
[12:51pm] jeff: before WWDC? 
[12:51pm] ss: Seems like he's one person we need there. 
[12:52pm] ss: That could be a hard weekend for him too.
[12:52pm] ss: wishes he was here to speak for himself.
[12:52pm] smorgan: He can't just send the donkey?
[12:52pm] ss: I'll ask and see what we can do.
[12:52pm] ss: If you have specific weekends that don't work for you, let me know.
[12:52pm] ardissone: bah, who needs pink  
[12:52pm] smorgan: July
[12:52pm] ss: Otherwise we'll find one that works for pink and go from there.
[12:52pm] ss: Heh
[12:52pm] ss: I was hoping for June anyway. 
[12:53pm] jeff: smorgan: you're in CA, you don't count 
[12:53pm] cl: hehe
[12:54pm] ardissone: East Coast! :P
[12:54pm] ardissone: MacWorld Boston :P
[12:54pm] ardissone: oh, wait...
[12:54pm] ardissone: anyway
[12:54pm] ardissone: do as sam says
[12:55pm] ardissone: check out your queues and the 2.0a1 lists
[12:55pm] ardissone: post WIPs
[12:55pm] ardissone: anything else from anyone?
[12:55pm] ardissone: (find us a substitute SoC student)
[12:56pm] cl: I was recruiting yesterday at my old high school
[12:56pm] cl: But the problem is the same as it was 10 years ago -- no Mac users :(
[12:56pm] cl: That, and they use Safari on all the Macs in the labs :P
[12:58pm] cl is now known as cl|out.
[12:58pm] ardissone: ok then
[12:59pm] ardissone: everyone have a good week
[12:59pm] jeff left the chat room.
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox