Status Meetings:2008-08-20:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[03:08am] You changed the topic to "http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2008-08-20:Agenda".
[03:08am] cl|zzz was promoted to operator by you.
[03:08am] delliott was promoted to operator by you.
[03:08am] isaac was promoted to operator by you.
[12:11pm] smorgan joined the chat room.
[12:11pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by you.
[12:12pm] ardissone: smorgan: do you know if we expect pink or mento?
[12:13pm] smorgan: I would guess no pink, but no idea about mento
[12:13pm] ardissone: k, we'll wait a couple more and then go
[12:17pm] ardissone: ok, let's get started and hope others will join us
[12:17pm] ardissone: 1.6.3 was released two weeks ago thurs
[12:17pm] ardissone: so far i've heard nothing bad
[12:18pm] ardissone: talkback, however, makes kittens cry
[12:19pm] ardissone: my guess now is that most of the crashes on startup in random bits of Camino code are the 1passwd-PPC incompatibility
[12:19pm] smorgan: seems very likely
[12:20pm] ardissone: given that any recent version of 1p is incompatible with Camino on PPC, I have no idea how we finish that relnote
[12:21pm] cl: Have they simply decided not to support PPC any further?
[12:21pm] ardissone: since we typically provide an "action" after noting the issues
[12:21pm] ardissone: no, apparently they have a bug that affects only Camino and only on PPC
[12:22pm] cl: corrective action: keep complaining to them until they fix it, and don't use 1Password if you're on PPC.
[12:22pm] ardissone: or at least that's my read of their statements
[12:22pm] smorgan: disabling 1Password integration with Camino and contacting 1Password support if they have problems is the only action
[12:22pm] ardissone: mmm, that works
[12:22pm] smorgan: PPC Tiger, I think
[12:22pm] ardissone: hmm
[12:22pm] smorgan: But we don't want to get that specific
[12:23pm] ardissone: i think some of these problem-stacks were 10.5 
[12:23pm] ardissone: i'll have to check to see
[12:24pm] smorgan: I emailed their support yesterday just to make sure they are aware of how widespread those three issues are
[12:24pm] ardissone: good
[12:24pm] smorgan: Since I don't know how many of the people showing up in forums/irc have actually been following up with 1Password support
[12:25pm] ardissone: and bugzilla...
[12:25pm] murph joined the chat room.
[12:25pm] murph was promoted to operator by you.
[12:25pm] mento joined the chat room.
[12:25pm] mento was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:25pm] kreeger joined the chat room.
[12:25pm] kreeger was promoted to operator by you.
[12:25pm] ardissone: anyway, aside from the 1passwd stuff, 1.6.3 seems OK
[12:26pm] ardissone: we have a collection of fixes to take for 1.6.4 now
[12:26pm] ardissone: Gecko 1.8.1.17 is set for release 3 Sep, last I checked
[12:27pm] ardissone: oh, it's moved
[12:27pm] ardissone: to 11 sep
[12:27pm] ardissone: so we'll try to match that, more or less
[12:28pm] ardissone: and update the known issues for F4M and Flash, and add this 1p thing
[12:28pm] ardissone: anyone else have anything on 1.6.x?
[12:28pm] smorgan: And we'll remember to ship it 
[12:28pm] cl: heh
[12:28pm] ardissone: i'll be here then; sam's on vacation that month 
[12:29pm] ardissone: ok, on to 2.0
[12:29pm] ardissone: we're not quite going to make "end of this month" i don't think
[12:30pm] ardissone: do we think we can sneak it in during the first week of Sept?
[12:30pm] ardissone: or should we shoot for after 1.6.4?
[12:30pm] ardissone: (assuming it stays on the 11th)
[12:31pm] smorgan: I think we'll have to see how the various patches progress
[12:31pm] cl: if we can get it done in time, the earlier the better
[12:32pm] smorgan: We have good momentum though, so I think we're in good shape for only sliding a bit
[12:32pm] cl: but if we can't get it done before 1.6.4, we should maybe wait about a week after that happens just to avoid too much overlap
[12:32pm] ardissone: the only thing we'll need to do for update is have smorgan rev the feed-generating script (and the .htaccess rules), right?
[12:33pm] ardissone: 2.0a1 updates
[12:33pm] smorgan: and the usual server and version dancing
[12:34pm] ardissone: although we don't technically need updates until 2.0a2/b1/whatever
[12:34pm] smorgan: I figured we'd push to nighty users
[12:34pm] ardissone: ok
[12:34pm] ardissone: i did, too, but i wasn't sure
[12:34pm] smorgan: Not because we need to, but because it'll give us a bit more testing
[12:35pm] ardissone: right
[12:35pm] ardissone: nothing new on sparkle1.5 final?
[12:35pm] smorgan: Things have been quiet on the sparkle list
[12:36pm] smorgan: I owe him a patch though; I'll try to get that taken care of this weekend
[12:36pm] ardissone: k
[12:36pm] smorgan: So we don't have to maintain our l10n changes and apply them to translations from Sparkle
[12:36pm] ardissone: ?
[12:36pm] smorgan: We have a local change to build on 10.4
[12:37pm] smorgan: He uses non-ascii strings
[12:37pm] smorgan: (as keys)
[12:37pm] ardissone: ah
[12:37pm] ardissone: ew
[12:37pm] smorgan: So, … rather than ...
[12:37pm] ardissone: gotcha
[12:37pm] smorgan: He said he was fine with taking that change if I put the branch together for him
[12:38pm] ardissone:
[12:38pm] smorgan: Speaking of l10n, we may want to see if we can get our localizers to tackle Sparkle once it's final
[12:38pm] ardissone: mhm
[12:38pm] smorgan: The previous localizations aren't right any more
[12:38pm] ardissone: since we won't have gecko strings for them yet 
[12:39pm] smorgan: Remind me about that again after we get a1 out 
[12:39pm] ardissone: k
[12:39pm] ardissone: and for those out of the loop, smorgan got the security exceptions patch in late last week, and I promptly cried over the UI 
[12:39pm] smorgan: I should get a revved cert UI up in the next day or two
[12:40pm] ardissone: k
[12:40pm] smorgan: Or at least mocks
[12:40pm] ardissone: mhm
[12:41pm] ardissone: full content zoom is almost ready; hendy needs to spin a new patch and we need the MainMenu.nib to be made on 10.4
[12:41pm] smorgan: (if it wasn't)
[12:42pm] ardissone: we can tell, i think, but I haven't looked
[12:42pm] ardissone: at any rate, that should make a1
[12:42pm] smorgan: Yep, easily
[12:42pm] ardissone: so we'll have a hidden Tabsposé and then content zoom as our main user-facing features
[12:43pm] ardissone: and we'll get UI feedback about zoom 
[12:43pm] ardissone: murph: want to update us on your stuff?
[12:43pm] murph: well, i refreshed the phishing patch, and it's up for sr now...
[12:44pm] murph: I'm going to begin knocking down all the smaller follow ups on that
[12:44pm] ardissone:
[12:44pm] murph: and, that last of my key view loop fixes, I will have the tab bar patch in by the end of the week
[12:44pm] cl: one of which is an UNCO we need to discuss, bug 441733
[12:45pm] ardissone: nice
[12:45pm] ardissone: yeah, what do we think about bug 441733 - Display a warning bar while browsing an unsafe site after dismissing the "site blocked" page ?
[12:46pm] cl: I think it's a good idea, personally, as long as we aren't hitting false-positives more than, say, once out of every five hundred pages.
[12:46pm] ardissone: iirc, Firefox has some sort of bar, but I don't recall how persistent theirs is
[12:46pm] cl: that's about the threshold at which false-positives would start to annoy me
[12:46pm] cl: of course, the "site blocked" page would probably annoy me too at that frequency 
[12:47pm] cl: The only reason I would have any reservations at all is because of all the negative feedback we got on the popup blocked bar
[12:47pm] smorgan: The blacklist is page-specific, isn't it?
[12:48pm] murph: well, it checks each page uri, but many sites have their entire tld blocked
[12:48pm] smorgan: okay
[12:49pm] smorgan: I just don't want the bar to go away while they are still on the bad site, just a different page
[12:49pm] smorgan: Since having the bar vanish would imply legitimacy
[12:50pm] ardissone: yeah, my thought was we'd do it by domain or something
[12:50pm] murph: yeah, especially if the site redirected you around or what not
[12:51pm] cl: How does the code determine when to show the "site blocked" page again while browsing a site after the "visit anyway" button was clicked once?
[12:51pm] cl: will it throw the "site blocked" page every time the URI changes?
[12:52pm] murph: we pass a "bypass classifier" load flag to do that
[12:52pm] murph: ...only during that load of the page..
[12:52pm] cl: then I assume there's some way for us to know that the site we're on is still "bad" and therefore persist the bar
[12:54pm] murph: well, most of the blocking is actually done by Core during the load, but we can find a way to keep track of the blocked site
[12:54pm] cl: k
[12:55pm] smorgan: Sounds like we should confirm it then
[12:55pm] cl: i'll make it so
[12:55pm] smorgan: But it's low-priority
[12:55pm] ardissone: (although what does that do for hosting test pages on cbo?)
[12:55pm] ardissone: right, after the other stuff
[12:56pm] ardissone: there's been no sign of jeff for a while, so nothing new on the tab* front
[12:57pm] ardissone: anything have anyone else about 2.0*?
[12:57pm] cl: well, I guess some of that 10.5 UI stuff is sort of 2.0-related, if we want to use that as a segue :P
[12:58pm] ardissone: not at 12:58, no
[12:58pm] ardissone: ;)
[12:58pm] cl: we started 15 minutes late :P
[12:58pm] ardissone: we don't run over 15 minutes unless we have very urgent matters ;)
[1:00pm] ardissone: the r queue still grew week-over-week despite us doing a half-dozen or so reviews over theweekend
[1:00pm] ardissone: queue broken record ;)
[1:00pm] ardissone: anything else?
[1:01pm] ardissone: ok then
[1:01pm] ardissone: everyone have a good week, and mind those Ps and Qs ;)
[1:02pm] cl: hands ardissone's P a downstroke
[1:02pm] ardissone: that's the Q
[1:02pm] cl: yes, well. extra reminder. :P
[1:02pm] ardissone: (patches and queues)
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox