Status Meetings:2008-09-03:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[12:05pm] You were promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:05pm] You changed the topic to "http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2008-09-03:Agenda".
[12:05pm] hendy was promoted to operator by you.
[12:05pm] murph was promoted to operator by you.
[12:05pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by you.
[12:06pm] pinkerton joined the chat room.
[12:06pm] mento joined the chat room.
[12:06pm] mento was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:06pm] pinkerton was promoted to operator by you.
[12:06pm] ardissone: grr
[12:06pm] ardissone: this lag is awful 
[12:07pm] ardissone: ok
[12:07pm] ardissone: everyone please open your Camino to http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2008-09-03:Agenda
[12:08pm] peeja joined the chat room.
[12:08pm] ardissone: i don't think there's a thing in the world new about 1.6.3
[12:08pm] peeja was promoted to operator by you.
[12:09pm] ardissone: in old news, 1passwd, Flash, and Real continue to suck 
[12:09pm] pinkerton: heh
[12:09pm] smorgan: If only there were a way to isolate plugin crashes
[12:10pm] smorgan: pinkerton: any thoughts on that? 
[12:10pm] pinkerton: josh appears to be waiting for me to solve it so gecko can steal it
[12:10pm] kreeger_ joined the chat room.
[12:10pm] ardissone: haha
[12:10pm] ardissone: 1passwd has this crasher that primarily affects 10.4/PPC that they have no idea what's causing or how to fix
[12:10pm] pinkerton: right now i just want pixels to draw on the screen, so that may be someone else's problem
[12:10pm] ardissone: mento's 
[12:11pm] ardissone: as for 1.6.4, all our stuff is in
[12:11pm] ardissone: Gecko 1.8.1.17 got pushed back almost a week, to Sept 16
[12:12pm] ardissone: so we don't need mento to spin until next week
[12:12pm] ardissone: i'll try to keep track of where they are in respins
[12:13pm] ardissone: speaking of next week, i won't be here next Wed or Thurs
[12:13pm] ardissone: so someone else will need to run the meeting next week
[12:13pm] ardissone: anyone have anything else on 1.6.x?
[12:15pm] ardissone: ok, on to 2.0
[12:16pm] ardissone: our target date was to have all the bugs finished at the end of last month
[12:16pm] ardissone: which we didn't quite make
[12:16pm] smorgan: We should tar and feather whoever is responsible for that!
[12:17pm] ardissone: we're kind of in this ugly place where we have two releases coming at the same time
[12:17pm] smorgan: Oh, wait...
[12:18pm] ardissone: so that probably means , unless we can rush-finish everything for a1 this week
[12:18pm] ardissone: a1 waits until the week of Sept 22-26
[12:19pm] smorgan: Can't we do most of the lifting for the releases in advance?
[12:19pm] ardissone: where everything = exceptions UI, and relnotes, with website stuff coming just after
[12:20pm] ardissone: we need a reasonable idea of what's going to land for the relnotes, which blocks the build
[12:21pm] ardissone: and either we try out a new update script/htaccess stuff or we don't
[12:22pm] smorgan: We should at least start the release notes, and we can add a line or two if necessary
[12:22pm] smorgan: I don't know what our server situation is these days for doing scripting
[12:22pm] smorgan: We should be able to htaccess it though
[12:23pm] ardissone: yeah, no scripting yet
[12:23pm] smorgan: We don't have all the languages to deal with
[12:23pm] ardissone: mm, true
[12:24pm] pinkerton: pesky languages
[12:24pm] ardissone: ok, let's see where we are with exceptions UI
[12:24pm] smorgan: So basically we just look for "pre"
[12:24pm] ardissone: well
[12:24pm] ardissone: some people are downloading the 1.6.4pre stuff
[12:25pm] ardissone: the next question is what's next, a2 or b1?
[12:28pm] smorgan: votes b1
[12:28pm] smorgan: Then when it's basically perfect we can go right to rc! 
[12:28pm] smorgan: I think we're at the "writing off features" stage at this point, unless they come in very soon
[12:29pm] ardissone: we have partly functional tabsposé that we need to finsh for b1
[12:30pm] smorgan: True
[12:30pm] kreeger_ left the chat room. (Quit: kreeger_)
[12:30pm] ardissone: and murph wants to finish tab dragging while waiting on reviews and GOOG approval on the stuff he has done
[12:31pm] ardissone: those are really the only two features that aren't more or less done that i think are on our radar
[12:31pm] ardissone: maybe batwood if he comes back
[12:31pm] murph: I approached ardissone about tab dragging over the weekend, because, it is quite honestly the feature I want the most and something I feel we really need...
[12:31pm] smorgan: I'd love to see that happen, but historically blocking on tab dragging hasn't been a winning strategy
[12:31pm] murph: i'm forever motivated by the daring fireball review, and how that lack of such a feature overshadows all the hard work we've all been doing
[12:32pm] smorgan: So I'd rather not plan the schedule on it
[12:32pm] murph: yeah, that's fine, I'd still iike to see what I can make happen
[12:32pm] ardissone: sure, but I do think we should see where murph gets
[12:32pm] smorgan: Agreed
[12:33pm] ardissone: OK 
[12:33pm] murph: I already gave the implementation a ton of thought, and basically laid out in my last r- how I'd go about it
[12:33pm] smorgan: Have you talked to jeff?
[12:34pm] smorgan: He's already run into several nasty parts that you'll want to be aware of as you plan it
[12:34pm] ardissone: now that he's back, that's possible 
[12:34pm] murph: Ok, I do remember him talking about a few of those, so I will definitely get in touch with him...
[12:34pm] ardissone: he's at the dentist today
[12:35pm] murph: plus, I really don't want to steal his thunder, but I just didn't want to stand back any longer and watch this feature miss another release
[12:36pm] ardissone: we now have all three pieces of the tab loop patch in someone's queue
[12:36pm] murph: i was following what he was doing very closely, since I was reviewing his patches
[12:37pm] ardissone: i'm not terribly hopeful of håkan doing the one, but we'll see what happens
[12:37pm] ardissone: still no news from safebrowsing people, i assume?
[12:38pm] murph: nope, sadly no word back on that yet
[12:39pm] ardissone: pinkerton: any thoughts
[12:39pm] pinkerton: skims
[12:39pm] pinkerton: which part?
[12:39pm] ardissone: just on safebrowsing 
[12:39pm] murph: gaining official approval from Google, for using the Safe Browsing API
[12:40pm] pinkerton: well, it seems like we should
[12:40pm] ardissone: murph made an official request a couple of weeeks ago
[12:40pm] pinkerton: want me to try to lean on someone internally?
[12:40pm] ardissone: and has heard nothing
[12:40pm] pinkerton: give me their name, i'll nudge them
[12:40pm] ardissone:
[12:40pm] murph: I had conversations with Ian Fette in the past...
[12:40pm] pinkerton: conveniently he's one of my PMs now
[12:41pm] pinkerton: should have sat on his desk when i was in mtn view a copule weeks ago. oh well
[12:41pm] pinkerton: i'll ping him
[12:41pm] murph: the last he heard from us, he mentioned that writing our own implementation could not yet be approved on etiher protocol version...
[12:42pm] pinkerton: so we're SOL?
[12:42pm] murph: but, now we're merely re-using the Core component, which I outlined in my request email
[12:42pm] pinkerton: ah ok
[12:43pm] ardissone: Core brains, Camino UI
[12:43pm] murph: yeah, so we behave identically to Firefox, with a different client name in the request API URLs 
[12:43pm] pinkerton: ok
[12:44pm] ardissone: i'd give you the bug # bug bugzilla is soooo slow
[12:44pm] ardissone: anything else on 2.0/2.0a1?
[12:45pm] ardissone: heh
[12:45pm] ardissone: pinkerton: bug 358299 has the details
[12:46pm] pinkerton: email away
[12:46pm] ardissone:
[12:47pm] murph: thanks pink 
[12:48pm] ardissone: so, atm, we're waiting on GOOG for phishing, waiting on pink sr for security exceptions, and waiting on reviewers for the tab loop stuff; that's everything that's actively in progress
[12:48pm] pinkerton: k. sr's on my radar but i'm pretty busy today with self-assessment nonsense
[12:48pm] ardissone: fun 
[12:49pm] pinkerton: it may eat all of this week
[12:49pm] smorgan: You know, I can write unsolicited feedback...
[12:49pm] smorgan:
[12:49pm] pinkerton: "yay"
[12:50pm] ardissone: we have had some good movement on bugs in the past week or so, but the review queue remains pretty full, so please check your personal queue
[12:50pm] ardissone: and if for some reason you're looking for patches to review, we had 3 untargeted r? last night
[12:51pm] ardissone: the 2.0-targeted list is also growing a bit; partly that's bugs hendy has attached patches for, and partly that's filing followups on the big features
[12:52pm] ardissone: probably re-triage that after a1
[12:53pm] ardissone: anything else from anyone about anything?
[12:56pm] ardissone: ok then
[12:56pm] ardissone: everyone have a good week, fix those bugs and review those patches
[12:56pm] smorgan left the chat room. (Quit: smorgan)
[12:58pm] hendy left the chat room.
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox