Status Meetings:2009-03-25:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[01:23am] You were promoted to operator by chanserv.
[01:23am] You changed the topic to "http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2009-03-25:Agenda".
[01:23am] cl|zzz was promoted to operator by you.
[08:29am] cl|zzz is now known as cl.
[10:32am] cl left the chat room. (Quit: cl)
[12:02pm] mento joined the chat room.
[12:02pm] mento was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:05pm] ardissone: brb
[12:09pm] peeja joined the chat room.
[12:09pm] hendy joined the chat room.
[12:09pm] peeja was promoted to operator by you.
[12:09pm] hendy was promoted to operator by you.
[12:09pm] kreeger joined the chat room.
[12:09pm] kreeger was promoted to operator by you.
[12:10pm] Patrick_ joined the chat room.
[12:10pm] Patrick_ was promoted to operator by you.
[12:10pm] Patrick_: Hello folks.
[12:10pm] ardissone: hi Patrick_ 
[12:10pm] ardissone: everyone, this is Patrick_ 
[12:11pm] Patrick_: Usually just Patrick
[12:11pm] ardissone: is also sauron, with whom you were speaking last night
[12:11pm] Patrick_: Very good.
[12:12pm] ardissone: Patrick's a new ObjC developer looking for some real-world experience
[12:12pm] Patrick_: Don't tell me to stop chatting during Algebra class please.
[12:12pm] Patrick_:
[12:13pm] Patrick_: That is correct, as you said, looking for experience.
[12:13pm] ardissone: i guess ilya and jeff are still sleeping, so we'll get started
[12:14pm] ardissone: no pink or smorgan today, but we have mento 
[12:14pm] Patrick_: I have a question.
[12:14pm] ardissone: everyone please open your Camino 2.0b2 or newer to http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2009-03-25:Agenda
[12:14pm] ardissone: Patrick_: go ahead
[12:14pm] mento: i'm just here here because i was waiting for something to happen on windows
[12:14pm] mento: but it's done now
[12:15pm] mento: so i'm only half-paying-attention as usual
[12:15pm] ardissone:
[12:15pm] Patrick_: I applied to The Mozilla Google Summer of Code 2009 project.
[12:15pm] ardissone:
[12:16pm] Patrick_: Any advice on getting accepted to the Camino portion of GSoC 2009?
[12:16pm] ardissone: meeting us is a good first step 
[12:17pm] Patrick_: That is good.
[12:17pm] ardissone: "a good application" but i can't tell you what that means, since I don't read them
[12:18pm] Patrick_: Okay, I will quiet down so we can have a meeting.
[12:18pm] ardissone: talk to jeff, for sure; hopefully he'll be around later
[12:18pm] ardissone: he was our last SoC student
[12:19pm] Patrick_: I have already spoken to him a bit. That is good. I will try to chat with him later.
[12:19pm] ardissone:
[12:20pm] ardissone: anyway, we have a smaller-than-normal group today
[12:20pm] ardissone: b2
[12:20pm] ardissone: crashes went way up last week
[12:20pm] ardissone: almost +75
[12:20pm] ardissone: instead of +40
[12:20pm] ardissone: mostly random Gecko stuff
[12:21pm] ardissone: but libobjc beat out Flash for the top spot
[12:21pm] ardissone: the stacks are pretty much useless, though
[12:21pm] ardissone: we did file https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=485126 last night
[12:22pm] ardissone: which led to cl filing bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=485132
[12:22pm] ardissone: apparently there are some cases where we end up with null Gecko pointers which we attempt to dereferences
[12:22pm] ardissone: which, i'm told, is bad
[12:23pm] ardissone: not sure how it's happening (window vanishing underneath us and a race?)
[12:23pm] ardissone: anyway
[12:24pm] ardissone: nothing else actionable from those crashes
[12:24pm] ardissone: anyone else have anything on b2?
[12:25pm] cl joined the chat room.
[12:25pm] cl was promoted to operator by you.
[12:25pm] ardissone: hopefully this will be the last time we mention 1.6.6
[12:26pm] ardissone: pink sr'd the last patches yesterday
[12:26pm] ardissone: i'd like to get him to verify the default browser thing on branch
[12:26pm] ardissone: and then we'll be good to do
[12:27pm] ardissone: mento: i don't suppose you feel like spinning a 1.6.x release  
[12:27pm] mento: i doubt i have the time
[12:27pm] mento: unless you want to swap with me
[12:27pm] ardissone: uh, no 
[12:27pm] Patrick_: Is the Gecko engine out of our area of control?
[12:27pm] ardissone: just checking for old time's sake
[12:28pm] ardissone: Patrick_: mostly, yes
[12:28pm] ardissone: so i'll try to spin tonight
[12:28pm] ardissone: and we'll aim for a release on Tues
[12:29pm] ardissone: anyone else have anything on 1.6.7?
[12:29pm] cl: "our" being "the Camino team", yes.
[12:30pm] ardissone: we've already touched on SoC
[12:30pm] kreeger is now known as kreeger-afk.
[12:30pm] ardissone: but smorgan went through our sample project ideas last night
[12:30pm] ardissone: and promoted the ones he felt were solid
[12:31pm] ardissone: jeff was working on revamping summerofcamino, in between conferences and stuff 
[12:31pm] ardissone: we'll try to get a blog post out on the Camino Blog
[12:32pm] ardissone: but we know we'll have at least Patrick_ applying 
[12:32pm] Patrick_: I have applied to for the Mozilla position, but I will revise and improve my application.
[12:33pm] ardissone: Yeah, we have to compete with the entire rest of the Mozilla world for shared slots
[12:33pm] ardissone: dunno how many Moz will be getting this year
[12:33pm] ardissone: On to 2.0?
[12:34pm] ardissone: Our 2.0b3 list is sitting pretty steady at 17 right now
[12:34pm] Patrick_: I will ask jeff to help me make my application a winning one.
[12:34pm] ardissone:
[12:34pm] Patrick_: Who will be the mentor?
[12:34pm] ardissone: either pinkerton or smorgan
[12:35pm] Patrick_: Got it.
[12:35pm] cl: since we don't have any idea how to trigger that crash you noticed last night, i guess there's not much point in blocking 1.6.7 on it, hm?
[12:35pm] ardissone: cl: yeah, that's just a reminder to pull 1.6.8 when we get it
[12:36pm] ardissone: i'm going to spin tonight, time willing
[12:36pm] cl: k
[12:36pm] ardissone: murph's not here, so i don't know where we are with phishing
[12:36pm] ardissone: but i landed the transient bar stuff for him last night
[12:36pm] cl: on the other hand, is there any reason we're time-critical on pushing 1.6.7 out the door? Because we could always wait until that lands...
[12:36pm] cl: (just so we don't have to do a 1.6.8, hopefully...)
[12:36pm] ardissone: so we're one step closer to the "yes, i want to browse this dangerous site" bar
[12:36pm] ardissone: no, we'll do 1.6.8 after 2.0
[12:37pm] cl: have we pretty much decided that a 1.6.8 is a certainty, then?
[12:37pm] ardissone: 1.6.6 is almost 4 months old now
[12:37pm] ardissone: we need to get a new version out there
[12:37pm] ss: Yes
[12:37pm] cl: k
[12:37pm] ss: So I can see a bump on the stats.
[12:37pm] cl: no biggie, especially since we don't have any idea how to trigger it
[12:37pm] ss: And because, you know, we ship software.
[12:37pm] cl: I just wasn't sure what our plans were for 1.6.8.
[12:38pm] ardissone: so i can attempt to analyze the branch crashes
[12:38pm] ardissone: yeah
[12:38pm] ss: Gecko will be updated for another 9 months, probably.
[12:38pm] ss: So no reason for us not to release.
[12:38pm] cl: ah.
[12:38pm] cl: gotcha
[12:38pm] cl: did anyone ever decide whether I'm totally wasting my time with that nsCOMPtr bug? 
[12:38pm] ardissone: maybe not for 9 months, but at least periodically until we ahve a stable buold
[12:39pm] ardissone: cl: no
[12:39pm] cl: OK, that's at least mildly encouraging 
[12:39pm] ardissone: no smorgan, so no breakpad news, either
[12:40pm] ardissone: no jeff, so no tabsposé news
[12:40pm] ardissone: this sounds like a bad record
[12:40pm] cl: haha
[12:40pm] ardissone: murph's tab dragging perf patch is back to him for more changes
[12:40pm] cl: or like a perfectly good record being played on my parents' semi-functional turntable
[12:41pm] ardissone: hendy: UTF-8 and Flashblock
[12:42pm] kreeger-afk is now known as kreeger.
[12:42pm] ardissone: maybe hendy's fallen back asleep?
[12:42pm] ardissone:
[12:42pm] ardissone: um
[12:43pm] ardissone: my notes say the bookmarks UTF-8 patch needs a reviewer
[12:44pm] ardissone: cl was working on the flashblock CM review
[12:45pm] ardissone: i think he found some stuff last night, so probably another round with that
[12:45pm] ardissone: but the AppleScript patch is now in pink's queue 
[12:46pm] ardissone: which will be a great feather in our cap with the selection bits
[12:46pm] ardissone: i landed ilya's patch to fix the "appears on top" regression last night
[12:47pm] ardissone: i think he has at least one other dl patch in the works
[12:47pm] ardissone: i have no updates on Gecko strings...too many other things
[12:47pm] ardissone: i assume ss has no new icon updates still 
[12:48pm] ss: ss sucks
[12:48pm] ss: I hate that guy.
[12:48pm] ardissone: he's all "Firefox this and Firefox that" 
[12:48pm] ss: srsly
[12:48pm] Patrick_: How do we come an agreement about what our priorities should be? How do we decide a new version is ready for release?
[12:49pm] ss: Patrick_: We can talk about that after the meeting.
[12:49pm] ardissone: also, CBSamplePane needs a reviewer
[12:50pm] ardissone: we should make jeff either show up with NSControl or do all the outstanding reviews 
[12:50pm] ardissone: i do want us to have CBSP ready for 2.0
[12:51pm] cl: yeah, ilya has a cleanup patch pending
[12:51pm] cl: i'm the reviewer
[12:51pm] cl: and something we just landed rotted my downloads prefs thing, which i'm planning to un-rot soon-ish
[12:51pm] cl: that will probably also rot ilya's cleanup patch
[12:51pm] ardissone: needs a new nib
[12:51pm] cl: yeah, that to
[12:52pm] cl: *too
[12:52pm] ardissone: we need to get that in
[12:52pm] ardissone: anyone have anything else on 2.0?
[12:53pm] ardissone: kreeger: do you have any time for reviews these days?
[12:54pm] kreeger: ardissone: sure, maybe one or two?
[12:54pm] ardissone: kreeger: cool, we'll try to send a couple your way
[12:54pm] kreeger: ;)
[12:54pm] ardissone: maybe hendy's utf-8-in-bookmarks
[12:55pm] ardissone: i'll look later
[12:55pm] kreeger: ah encoding fun!
[12:55pm] kreeger: sounds like my past 3 months
[12:55pm] ardissone: heh
[12:55pm] ardissone: then you're the perfect victim :P
[12:56pm] ardissone: tinderbox front, still waiting on ss to make boxset reappear
[12:57pm] ardissone: still sad that my dream from sunday night of mento adding new tinderboxen and making boxset reappear was just a dream :P
[12:57pm] mento: sorry kids
[12:57pm] ardissone: maybe i was looking on the wrong tree
[12:57pm] ardissone: ;)
[12:57pm] mento: tree history
[12:58pm] ss: And boxset will be moving too.
[12:58pm] kreeger left the chat room. (Connection reset by peer)
[12:58pm] ss: So there will be downtime this weekend.
[12:58pm] ss: Not sure how long, but hopefully only a few hours.
[12:58pm] ardissone: as always, you can follow boxset via http://www.ardisson.org/smokey/moz/perf.html?size=50&days=2&avg=1&autoscale=1
[12:59pm] ardissone: anyone have anything else on anything else?
[1:01pm] ardissone: ok then
[1:01pm] Patrick_: Guess not.
[1:01pm] ardissone: everyone have a good week, and work on those 2.0b3 bugs and reviews :)
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox