Status Meetings:2009-10-14:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[02:14am] You were promoted to operator by ChanServ.
[02:14am] You changed the topic to "http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2009-10-14:Agenda".
[02:14am] cl|zzz was promoted to operator by you.
[06:17am] cl|zzz is now known as cl.
[07:07am] cl left the chat room. (Quit: cl)
[08:55am] cl joined the chat room.
[09:18am] cl left the chat room. (Quit: HPN turn, then home)
[12:04pm] smorgan joined the chat room.
[12:04pm] murph joined the chat room.
[12:04pm] murph was promoted to operator by you.
[12:04pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by you.
[12:05pm] kreeger-office joined the chat room.
[12:05pm] kreeger-office was promoted to operator by you.
[12:06pm] ardissone: smorgan: pink?
[12:06pm] pinkerton joined the chat room.
[12:06pm] pinkerton was promoted to operator by ChanServ.
[12:07pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by ChanServ.
[12:08pm] ardissone: ok, everyone open your 2.0b4 or later to http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2009-10-14:Agenda
[12:09pm] ardissone: on the b4 front
[12:09pm] ardissone: crashes #2 and 4 have been fixed
[12:10pm] ardissone: #5 has a warning, #1 is just Flash 
[12:10pm] ardissone: which leaves the return of NSApp sendEvent: 
[12:11pm] smorgan: Still, 2/3 large fixable crashes fixed ain't bad
[12:11pm] ardissone: no, not at all
[12:12pm] ardissone: i just don't know what we do about the other one
[12:12pm] ardissone: other than hope it hits you or murph while you have Camino near a debugger 
[12:13pm] ardissone: beyond that, lots of misc crashes
[12:13pm] smorgan: Or we magically find reliablish repro steps
[12:13pm] ardissone: yeah 
[12:14pm] ardissone: the 2-week rolling # of crashes is staying well below the single-week accumulation of PPC-only crashes in 1.6.10
[12:14pm] ardissone: just to give you an idea of how few testers or crashes we have on b4 compared to release
[12:15pm] smorgan: If only we had some stats!
[12:15pm] ardissone: hopes it's the latter rather than the former 
[12:15pm] ardissone: yeah, if only ss hadn't run off to Africa for a month! 
[12:16pm] ardissone: anyone have anything else on b4 in particular?
[12:17pm] ardissone: ok, 1.6.10
[12:17pm] ardissone: # of crashes/week is still below average
[12:17pm] pinkerton: runs to get food
[12:18pm] ardissone: nothing interesting in the crashes
[12:19pm] ardissone: smorgan: isn't there some branch gecko thing you were going to look at?
[12:19pm] ardissone: i tried to look for it last night to 1.6.11? it but couldn't find it
[12:20pm] smorgan: Yes, it's a reproducible crash in childview
[12:20pm] smorgan: bug 520424
[12:20pm] smorgan: I haven't had a chance yet, but it's on my list
[12:20pm] ardissone: k
[12:21pm] ardissone: 1.6.11?s it
[12:21pm] ardissone: anyway, for 1.6.11 we have that and the cookies exceptions bug
[12:22pm] ardissone: speaking of which, I'm not sure hendy's going to get to that review soon
[12:22pm] ardissone: so we may have to go the smorgan-pink route instead of hendy-smorgan
[12:22pm] smorgan: k
[12:23pm] pinkerton: k
[12:23pm] ardissone: also, i haven't heard from peeja on the AS review I have at him, even with an out-of-band request, so I think I'm just going to kick that to sr; it's straightforward
[12:24pm] ardissone: 2.0 stuff
[12:24pm] ardissone: all that's left on the anti-phishing meta is the Ts regression and the futured 10.5 tooltip thingy
[12:25pm] ardissone: on the cocoa key blackhole, we seem to have been new-regression-free for a week now 
[12:25pm] smorgan: woohoo!
[12:25pm] pinkerton: yay!
[12:26pm] ardissone: on tabsposé, jeff keeps appearing and muttering about NSControl, but as of yet it hasn't appeared
[12:26pm] ardissone: anyone else have any tabsposé news?
[12:26pm] smorgan: I haven't gotten back to tab loop, but hopefully tonight or tomorrow I'll dig in again
[12:27pm] ilya joined the chat room.
[12:27pm] ilya was promoted to operator by you.
[12:27pm] ardissone:
[12:28pm] ardissone: basically all the major feature areas outside of tabsposé are done
[12:29pm] smorgan: And tabsposé is shippable as-is, even if we'd like to polish more
[12:29pm] ardissone: right
[12:29pm] ardissone: i think we'll have some time, though 
[12:29pm] smorgan: uh-oh
[12:29pm] ardissone: if we were to ship today, we'd ship en and it
[12:29pm] smorgan: How about Friday? 
[12:30pm] ardissone: en and it
[12:30pm] ardissone: we have other languages that have finally reached 100% translations on b4, but none of them have been reviewed
[12:31pm] ardissone: (and the Spanish woes continue; the reviewers are all MIA)
[12:31pm] ardissone: also, if you look at the list
[12:31pm] ardissone: besides Spanish (and Japanese, which we just got the update on)
[12:32pm] ardissone: it's all the smaller languages
[12:32pm] ardissone: no French, no German
[12:32pm] smorgan: ouch
[12:32pm] ardissone: even if every other language was done, i don't think we could ship without both of those
[12:33pm] ardissone: one maybe, but not both
[12:33pm] smorgan: I guess shipping without those languages would be a good way to find new people interested in translating
[12:33pm] smorgan: Are people actively working on them?
[12:33pm] ardissone: yes
[12:34pm] ardissone: the French team had a baby a few months ago, so that explains why it's slowed down some
[12:34pm] pinkerton: heh
[12:35pm] ardissone: German i don't know
[12:35pm] ardissone: however, to put all the other languages to shame, Allan Nyholm sent a message this morning that implies he has a complete Danish translation other than fixing button layout
[12:36pm] smorgan: Nice
[12:36pm] ardissone: and he started with David Munch a couple of weeks ago, with only 1.0 as a base
[12:36pm] ardissone: there are 4 languages in 1.6 that have had no updates for 2.0
[12:37pm] ss: Yeah, I'm really not sure we can ship without at least French and German.
[12:37pm] ardissone: Portuguess, which we knew lost its team
[12:37pm] ardissone: Catalan, Czech, and Polish
[12:37pm] ss: And maybe Japanese, which is almost done.
[12:38pm] smorgan: We can't hold 2.0 forever just for 10-15% of our users
[12:38pm] ss: Sure, but we're not talking about forever.
[12:38pm] ss: I'm also not sure docs are ready
[12:38pm] ss: So the website wouldn't be ready, even if we kept the old design.
[12:38pm] ss: (Which I don't think we should do.)
[12:38pm] smorgan: How long until the website could be ready?
[12:39pm] ss: ardissone: How are docs?
[12:39pm] ardissone: i have the first draft of the release notes ready; I asked Sam to look over the features list but haven't heard back 
[12:39pm] ss: Yeah, I have a tab open.
[12:39pm] ardissone: the big new addition is safebrowsing, which is almost entirely done
[12:39pm] ardissone: i'm going to branch the site tonight, time permitting, and start on the rest
[12:39pm] ardissone: "branch"
[12:40pm] ardissone: i'm allowing a week, in my mind
[12:40pm] ardissone: i'd have to check my notes about the other non-docs site crap
[12:41pm] ardissone: anyway, my goal is to have final renotes and update description Friday, but that depends on getting the features list approved
[12:42pm] ss: I can do that today
[12:42pm] ardissone: ok
[12:42pm] ardissone: i don't think we can RC this week, though
[12:43pm] ardissone: which should let us sneak a couple more tabsposé fixes in
[12:43pm] ardissone: anything else on 2.0-the-app?
[12:43pm] ss: Even if we're ready with docs and stuff, we still need to RC and give it at least a week.
[12:43pm] ss: To make sure there are no serious problems.
[12:44pm] ardissone: we have a Gecko release coming up, which will be nice
[12:44pm] ss: Yep
[12:44pm] smorgan: When?
[12:44pm] ss: We just had to respin
[12:44pm] ss: Which won't start 'til tomorrow or so
[12:44pm] ss: Maybe today
[12:44pm] smorgan: So we RC next week on that Gecko?
[12:44pm] ss: Target date for ship is Oct 21
[12:44pm] ss: Yeah
[12:45pm] ardissone: that's my hope/plan
[12:45pm] smorgan: I'm not convinced we'll need a full week of bake, since development has been pretty slow
[12:45pm] smorgan: We'll see where l10n and website are I guess
[12:45pm] ardissone: l10n will need a full week to get a good package
[12:45pm] smorgan: Ah, okay
[12:45pm] ardissone: (and for me to test)
[12:46pm] ardissone: speaking of website
[12:46pm] ardissone: ss: ^^^
[12:47pm] ss: Right
[12:47pm] ss: We're working on redesigning the website.
[12:47pm] ss: Andy Budd of Clearleft is leading it and doing some good work.
[12:47pm] ss: Him and Jon are friends, but we obviously can't have Jon.
[12:47pm] ss: Design should be completed shortly
[12:47pm] ss: And when it is, we'll put it on top of our current codebase.
[12:48pm] ss: Shouldn't be too hard to do.
[12:48pm] smorgan: Is this redesign addressing some of the open issues we have about the site, out of curiosity?
[12:49pm] kreeger-office is now known as kreeger.
[12:49pm] ss: Hopefully a few of them, yeah, but not all of them.
[12:49pm] ss: And not the localization stuff.
[12:49pm] ss: (Because that's more of a backend thing anyway.)
[12:49pm] smorgan: I was thinking mostly the update notification and download discovery stuff
[12:49pm] ss: Yeah, I'm working on that.
[12:49pm] ss: The update notification thing isn't strictly part of the design, but it's on my list.
[12:50pm] smorgan: I guess we could layer it over an existing page rather than designing a place to show it
[12:51pm] ss: I'm thining of a web-based notification bar to start.
[12:52pm] ardissone: we need something that can appear on any particular entry point page; i forget the entry point stats, but i know it's not all /
[12:52pm] ardissone: but anyway
[12:52pm] ardissone: anything else on the website?
[12:53pm] ardissone: other good news: the number of bugs fixed in the last week continues to climb
[12:54pm] ardissone: we continue to generate srs for pink ;)
[12:54pm] pinkerton: yeah yeah
[12:54pm] pinkerton: i know
[12:54pm] ardissone: :)
[12:55pm] ardissone: anyone have anything else on anything else today?
[12:58pm] ardissone: ok then
[12:59pm] ardissone: everyone have a good week, work on those lingering 2.0-ish bugs and reviews :)
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox