Impediments to Daily Use of 1.8branch/Trunk
The 1.8 Branch and the Trunk are for the most part stable enough, and not broken, for daily use by developers, QA, and forum-dwellers alike.
However, there are a large number of bugs and regressions that are considered major annoyances and stop these groups from actively using such builds (most are Camino-only, and most are on both branch and trunk; those that aren’t are annotated appropriately below). This list tracks these major “dogfood-ish” issues.
List generated by Camino developers and QA
2006-12-03: Note that Cairo has been enabled, so there are millions of drawing/font/printing/perf bugs that make the trunk pretty unlivable.
- Bug 333531 - Pop-up blocker is annoying/invasive (regression; have approval to fix via pref for status bar)
Bug 274143 - Pseudo-Single-window mode inoperative (no true SWM, either) (regression)FIXED
Bug 325296 - Opacity broken (regression; trunk-only; Core)FIXED
- Bug 313811 - Background tabs flash before display (regression; trunk-o</s>nly; simple backout needed to mirror branch)
Bug 333765 - Opening a bookmark in a new tab no longer works when pushing Command after opening a bookmark folder, only before (regression)FIXED for the Bookmarks menu
- Bug 185436 - Software update for Camino ("nightly" channel is dogfood for some)
- Threads landing stuff (regression; trunk-only):
Bug 351492 - HTTP authentication dialogs don't remember passwords, not prefilled (regression; trunk-only)
Bug 350973 - Image overlaid on select widgets (regression; trunk-only)
Bug 351722 - No Talkback on trunk since 25 Aug (regression; trunk-only; Core)
Camino Regressions query
Additional user-generated bugs
mentioned in the forum thread
Bug 336012 - [10.4] Copy/paste from Browser to Terminal results in gibberish text (regression; currently trunk-only, but bug that caused it might land on 1.8.1 yet; Core)FIXED
Other possible issues keeping forum-dwellers off trunk/1.8: lack of significant new features (or that in combination with the regressions)?
Build usage distribution
What Camino build do you use in your daily browsing?
- Official trunk nightlies (Camino 1.2+)
- 3rd-party optimized trunk nightlies
- Official 1.8 branch nightlies (Camino 1.0+; nightly link from cb.o)
- 3rd-party optimized 1.8 branch nightlies
- Camino 1.0.1/Camino 1.0.1 Multilingual
- 3rd-party optimized Camino 1.0.1
(Talkback is non-existant for anything but Camino 1.0...in addition to seeing how many people are on branch/trunk, we'll see if anyone is using official builds with Talkback)
results as of 2006-05-06 ca. 00:00 PDT
|Build||Percent||Number of users|
|Official trunk nightlies (Camino 1.2+)||10%||[ 6 ]|
|3rd-party optimized trunk nightlies||16%||[ 9 ]|
|Official 1.8 branch nightlies (Camino 1.0+; nightly link from cb.o)||9%||[ 5 ]|
|3rd-party optimized 1.8 branch nightlies||1%||[ 1 ]|
|Camino 1.0.1/Camino 1.0.1 Multilingual||36%||[ 20 ]|
|3rd-party optimized Camino 1.0.1||25%||[ 14 ]|
|Total Votes :||55|