About Camino® 1.6
After nearly a year of hard work by devoted volunteers, the Camino Project is proud to give you Camino 1.6. This latest version includes many bug fixes and new features, providing all users with an improved browsing experience. Like Camino 1.5, this release displays web pages with Gecko 1.8.1, the same rendering engine used by the popular Firefox 2 web browser, and thus shares many of the security fixes and Gecko improvements that are in that version of Firefox.
The features listed below are just some of the many changes in Camino 1.6.
Due to changes in the feature set, Camino 1.6 requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or higher. We advise users still running Mac OS X 10.3.0-10.3.8 to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3.9.
Features in Camino 1.6
The following are the major changes and improvements made since the Camino 1.5 release. A full list is available on our website.
- Automatic software updates
- Camino now checks for new releases automatically.
- Improved tabbed browsing
- When more tabs are open than can be displayed in the tab bar, arrows appear at the right and left edges to allow scrolling the bar. As part of this change, the tab overflow menu has been replaced by a menu displaying all open tabs in the current window.
- Keychain compatibility
- Camino can now store information in the Keychain for multiple accounts at the same site.
- Improved toolbar search
- The search field in the toolbar now includes a simple editor that allows deleting, renaming, and reordering search engines.
- Camino now supports OpenSearch search engine plug-ins. New search engines can be added to the toolbar’s search field by automatic discovery or by web pages that provide links to OpenSearch plug-ins.
- Streamlined Find interface
- The Find panel has been replaced by a Find toolbar that appears near the bottom of the browser window.
- Enhanced AppleScript capabilities
- AppleScripts can now refer to individual tabs and windows.
- It is now possible to add, open, and delete bookmarks via AppleScript.
- Camino now supports custom toolbar items written in AppleScript.
- Additional feed reader options
- Camino can now pass feeds to certain web-based feed readers.
- User interface polish
- Camino 1.6 includes a number of new toolbar icons and interface enhancements to fit more closely with the visual style of Mac OS X 10.5.
For information about other issues or problems, please visit our Help page.
- Version 2.2 of the Flip4Mac (F4M) plug-in for displaying Windows Media content causes major rendering issues in Camino. The Flip4Mac team will fix this problem in a future release of the plug-in.
- After visiting enough pages with Flash content while browsing, Camino may stop functioning correctly. Quitting and re-launching Camino will resolve the problem. This behavior is caused by a bug in the Flash plug-in, which will be fixed in a future Flash plug-in release.