Camino 3's alpha phase will start with the most basic of alphas, delivered when we can ship Camino that: browses the web, has tabs, has bookmarks (but likely without a bookmark manager), interfaces with history (autocomplete hopefully but likely doesn't have a history manager), and has Camino icons in the toolbar.
The location bar will not need to be finished or include feed or security information to start. The location bar will likely be basic and only pull from history (i.e., not include the entire algorithm we now use), though could pull from bookmarks as well. The search bar will not need to exist yet.
Steps to Alpha
- Disable (likely comment out) all Camino code except the least needed.
- Modify embedding/src to use Webkit.
- Bootstrapped, dead-simple, pre-alpha browser with no features and no Camino look and feel, but built on top of some Camino code.
- Hook up basic UI (back, forward, reload, stop, location bar).
- If volunteer wishes to hook up search bar, it is likely not hard to do here, without the manage or opensearch features.
- Hook up basic history system using Webkit-provided interface.
- Hook up bookmark system using Camino method (unless we devise a new method).
- Hook up autocomplete in location bar using history and bookmarks (or just history for now).
- Hook up tabs system, possibly with a max tab limit to start.
"Basic" things likely missing:
- No import of old Camino data as of yet.
- No use of Keychain as of yet, unless it's given for free by Webkit.
- No bookmark bar.
- Possibly/likely no status bar.