Status Meetings:2009-01-21:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[02:01am] You were promoted to operator by chanserv.
[02:01am] You changed the topic to "".
[05:48am] cl|zzz is now known as cl.
[06:22am] cl left the chat room. (Quit: back this evening)
[11:52am] murph joined the chat room.
[12:03pm] hendy joined the chat room.
[12:04pm] murph left the chat room. (Quit: murph)
[12:04pm] murph joined the chat room.
[12:04pm] murph left the chat room. (Quit: murph)
[12:07pm] You are now known as ardissone|foraging.
[12:07pm] murph joined the chat room.
[12:07pm] hendy was promoted to operator by you.
[12:07pm] murph was promoted to operator by you.
[12:07pm] kreeger joined the chat room.
[12:08pm] ardissone|foraging: yay lag 
[12:08pm] kreeger was promoted to operator by you.
[12:08pm] peeja joined the chat room.
[12:08pm] peeja was promoted to operator by you.
[12:09pm] ilya joined the chat room.
[12:09pm] ilya was promoted to operator by you.
[12:10pm] ardissone|foraging: waiting on those crazy GOOGs
[12:11pm] ss: I see a couple of them on another network...
[12:11pm] ss: Not clear if they're going to be coming though (I pang them)
[12:11pm] ardissone|foraging: k
[12:12pm] ardissone|foraging: smorgan's been in #camino since before the weekend
[12:13pm] ardissone|foraging: so wherever he is, it's not at work 
[12:14pm] ardissone|foraging: heh
[12:14pm] ardissone|foraging: the lag must be me 
[12:16pm] ardissone|foraging: ok, let's get started and at least run through things
[12:16pm] ardissone|foraging: everyone please open your 2.0b1 or newer to
[12:16pm] ardissone|foraging: b1's been out for a month now
[12:17pm] ardissone|foraging: our PPC users aren't crashing all that much, or they aren't using it
[12:17pm] ardissone|foraging: the appshell crash-on-quit is now moved down to #2
[12:17pm] ardissone|foraging: ilya: are you still seeing it?
[12:18pm] ilya: mmm, haven't tried not having any windows open in a while
[12:18pm] ardissone|foraging: if so, can you try smichaud's test build?
[12:19pm] ilya: yeah
[12:19pm] ardissone|foraging: we need him to answer stuart's questions, but the people who are seeing the assorted crashes should try his build to at least see if his ugly hack fixes them
[12:19pm] ilya: is that attached to the bug?
[12:19pm] ardissone|foraging: yeah, in one of the comments
[12:19pm] You are now known as ardissone.
[12:20pm] ilya: k, I'll try it
[12:20pm] ardissone: thanks
[12:20pm] ardissone: for whatever reason, i've never been able to repro either that or the Dock quit method
[12:21pm] ardissone:
[12:21pm] ardissone: moving way up to #3 this week is the 1password crash
[12:21pm] ardissone: the 1P people supposedly have a fix in their beta channel
[12:21pm] ilya: we should make them pay us a quarter for each crash they cause 
[12:22pm] ardissone: they'd go bankrupt 
[12:22pm] ilya: or, perhaps, make their users pay less
[12:22pm] ardissone: stuart also has a patch that probably prevents them from crashing us, but it's still waiting on pink
[12:23pm] ardissone: also in fun bugs
[12:23pm] ardissone: we have the 10.4 autorelease leak
[12:23pm] ardissone: no real clue there
[12:24pm] ardissone: and the crash/hang when adding a bookmark
[12:24pm] ardissone: this one we think might be related to the key loop
[12:24pm] ardissone: murph: can you take a look at it at some point?
[12:24pm] ardissone:
[12:24pm] ardissone: it's hard to repro, unfortunately 
[12:26pm] murph: ardissone: yeah, I'll definitely take a look
[12:26pm] ardissone: thanks 
[12:26pm] ardissone: anyone have anything else on 2.0b1?
[12:26pm] ilya: oh, what about that 100% CPU bug?
[12:27pm] ilya: any ideas what's going on there?
[12:27pm] ardissone: which one is that? 
[12:27pm] ilya:
[12:28pm] ardissone: it looked like spin locks, i think
[12:28pm] ardissone: need someone else to read it, though
[12:29pm] ardissone: it's almost certainly not our bug
[12:29pm] ardissone: the question is where in Core does it need to go
[12:30pm] ilya: even though it's not reproduceable in firefox?
[12:31pm] ilya: it does seem like there's a lot of spin locks there...
[12:31pm] ardissone: it's not a UI bug
[12:31pm] ilya: but they seem to be in Cocoa code
[12:31pm] ardissone: Widget?
[12:32pm] ilya: well, one of them isn't in Cocoa code
[12:32pm] ilya: iono
[12:32pm] ardissone: the appshell is on the stack
[12:32pm] ardissone: or should i say, the hackshell 
[12:33pm] ardissone: on the 1.6.6 front, there's nothing really new
[12:33pm] ardissone: with Talkback still broken, I can't get any sort of useful crash info
[12:33pm] ardissone: it also suffers from the 1Passwd bug
[12:34pm] ardissone: i tried to do some investigation for murph of the search bug over the weekend
[12:34pm] ardissone: with very limited success
[12:34pm] ardissone: on to 2.0...
[12:35pm] ardissone: we've also uncovered some new Gecko/Flash/Flashblock bugs
[12:35pm] murph: ardissone: sorry I wasn't around to help debug it with you, I can actually make you a patch to apply to your tree on 10.3, to log some stuff adn debug that way
[12:35pm] ilya: argh
[12:36pm] ilya: if anyone needs help reproducing the hang on quit, I'm all over it
[12:36pm] ardissone: murph: we did log some stuff; i'll catch you a bit later with the details
[12:36pm] ardissone: ;(
[12:36pm] ardissone: hopefully the Gecko bug will help get Flashblock sorted out
[12:37pm] ilya: also crash on quit just reproduced, so I'll try smichaud's patch
[12:37pm] ardissone: because I just remembered we've seen some symptoms of Bug 474153 with 1.6.x
[12:38pm] ardissone: or at least i think that's what allen middleton determined
[12:38pm] pinkerton joined the chat room.
[12:38pm] pinkerton: hey
[12:38pm] ardissone: pink!
[12:38pm] ardissone: mooof!
[12:38pm] ardissone: we were just discussing how Gecko sucks 
[12:38pm] pinkerton was promoted to operator by you.
[12:39pm] pinkerton: moof
[12:39pm] pinkerton: lol
[12:39pm] pinkerton: shock
[12:39pm] ardissone: also how 1password crashes us a lot
[12:40pm] pinkerton: shock
[12:40pm] ardissone: and how we hope smorgan's patch will stop one of the crashes
[12:40pm] pinkerton: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
[12:40pm] pinkerton: er
[12:40pm] pinkerton: any particular gecko suckage?
[12:40pm] ardissone: hackshell, er appshell
[12:40pm] ardissone: plugins
[12:41pm] ardissone:
[12:41pm] ardissone:
[12:41pm] ardissone:
[12:41pm] ardissone:
[12:41pm] ilya: oh, actually my crash on quit just now was different
[12:41pm] ilya: 0  libobjc.A.dylib              0x94db1688 objc_msgSend + 24
[12:41pm] ilya: 1  org.mozilla.camino            0x006cb6a5 nsBaseAppShell::Release() + 47
[12:41pm] ilya: 2  libxpcom_core.dylib          0x00d60494 nsCOMPtr_base::~nsCOMPtr_base() + 20
[12:41pm] ilya: 3  libxpcom_core.dylib          0x00d9cdcb nsThread::Release() + 47
[12:41pm] ilya: 4  libxpcom_core.dylib          0x00d60494 nsCOMPtr_base::~nsCOMPtr_base() + 20
[12:42pm] ilya: ...
[12:42pm] ilya: that's another known crash, right?
[12:42pm] ardissone: no, that's the appshell one
[12:42pm] ardissone: there are two slightly different signatures, aiui
[12:42pm] kreeger left the chat room. (Quit: kreeger)
[12:43pm] ardissone: there may actually be a bug in Flashblock related to the last bug i mentioned
[12:43pm] ardissone: hopefully the bug, which has blocking, will help sort it out
[12:44pm] ardissone: ok...
[12:44pm] ardissone: no smorgan, no jeff
[12:44pm] ilya: well, I can't reproduce the crash anymore on the non-patched Camino...
[12:44pm] ardissone: so no updates on breakpad, security UI, or tabsposé
[12:44pm] ardissone: :sigh:
[12:45pm] ardissone: murph's going to look at the one possibly-key-loop-related crasher
[12:45pm] ardissone: murph: any news on the 10.4 tab dragging bug?
[12:46pm] murph: ardissone: yeah I was able to get my 10.4 book up and running, so I am in the process of taking a look at that now
[12:46pm] murph: I hope to have that figured out very soon
[12:46pm] ardissone:
[12:47pm] ardissone: there's nothing new on the zoom icons since last week's discussion
[12:48pm] pinkerton: do we have a plan/schedule for 2.0 rc1? or another beta?
[12:48pm] smorgan joined the chat room.
[12:48pm] ardissone: pinkerton: we're looking at A with better arrow contrast on
[12:48pm] ardissone: b2
[12:49pm] ardissone: with breakpad and growl and any last l10n-affecting changes
[12:49pm] pinkerton: ok
[12:49pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by you.
[12:49pm] ardissone: we may as well chat growl right now
[12:50pm] ardissone: ilya's patch needs a minor change to make l10n work correctly, but otherwise the version up for sr should be sr-able
[12:50pm] ardissone: i think i have the framework integration working
[12:51pm] ardissone: that's in smrogan's queue for sanity-check
[12:51pm] pinkerton: k
[12:51pm] ardissone: since he's done that sort of stuff before
[12:51pm] ardissone: Growl is about 16 MB of source files
[12:52pm] pinkerton: i'd prefer it didn't drag out for just that.
[12:52pm] ardissone: the actual framework is 240 KB, not 140 or whatever we were quoting before
[12:52pm] ilya: I don't think we need most of those 16 MB
[12:52pm] ardissone: pinkerton: we can't ship with Talkback
[12:52pm] pinkerton: i know, but we can w/out growl
[12:52pm] ardissone: Talkback is actually more broken than crash-stats
[12:53pm] ardissone: well, growl is almost ready
[12:53pm] ardissone: breakpad, i'm guessing, is not 
[12:53pm] pinkerton: heh
[12:53pm] smorgan: No, I've been out of town
[12:54pm] ardissone: aside from the crashes and leaks and other Gecko suckage, breakpad is the b2 blocker
[12:55pm] pinkerton: who's on that?
[12:55pm] ardissone: but we've been essentially idle for almost a month now
[12:55pm] ardissone: smorgan is writing the client
[12:55pm] smorgan: Me, but I haven't gotten to it
[12:56pm] ardissone: !clone smorgan
[12:56pm] ilya: Growl would also be nice to have some broader user testing for, in terms of behavior matching what users want
[12:56pm] ilya: brb
[12:56pm] ilya left the chat room. (Quit: ilya)
[12:56pm] ardissone: for that matter, !clone pinkerton and !clone mento 
[12:56pm] pinkerton: heh
[12:57pm] ardissone: hendy: any updates on UTF-8 or anything else from your neck of the woods?
[12:57pm] hendy: no  
[12:57pm] ardissone: ok
[12:58pm] hendy: i may find some time today to get back into it
[12:58pm] ardissone:
[12:58pm] ardissone: anyone else have anything else on 2.0? (besides pink's "ship it" ;) )
[12:58pm] pinkerton: heh
[1:00pm] ardissone: as i mentioned earlier, we had no fixed bugs in the past week, and the queues only grew ;)
[1:00pm] ardissone: we also need to attack the UNCOs again
[1:00pm] pinkerton: smorgan: i noticed the rss feed for my sr queue no longer works
[1:00pm] ardissone: aha!
[1:00pm] smorgan: pinkerton: hrm, I'll take a look
[1:01pm] ardissone: therein lies the problem ;)
[1:01pm] pinkerton: heh.
[1:01pm] pinkerton: sorry!
[1:01pm] ardissone: technology always letting us down
[1:02pm] ardissone: anyone have anything else?
[1:03pm] ilya joined the chat room.
[1:03pm] ardissone: ok then
[1:03pm] pinkerton: l8r folks
[1:03pm] ardissone: let's all have a good week and work on patches/reviews/UNCO-killing
[1:03pm] pinkerton left the chat room.