Status Meetings:2007-09-19:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[12:50am] You were promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:50am] You changed the topic to "http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2007-09-19:Agenda".
[12:00pm] cl|zzz is now known as cl.
[12:00pm] jeff joined the chat room.
[12:01pm] jeff was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] cl was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] murph was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] You are now known as ardissone|food.
[12:01pm] cl: waits for smokey to /nick arrrrrrrrrrdissone
[12:02pm] cl is now known as CapnScurvy.
[12:03pm] pinkerton joined the chat room.
[12:03pm] pinkerton was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:03pm] smorgan joined the chat room.
[12:03pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by you.
[12:03pm] peeja joined the chat room.
[12:03pm] peeja was promoted to operator by CapnScurvy.
[12:04pm] kreeger joined the chat room.
[12:04pm] kreeger was promoted to operator by you.
[12:04pm] ardissone|food: anbyone else we're missing?
[12:04pm] CapnScurvy: not sure if ian's actually around
[12:05pm] ardissone|food: ok, everyone open your Camino to http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2007-09-19:Agenda
[12:05pm] ardissone|food: and rejoice that the wiki is back
[12:06pm] peeja is now known as peeja|salty.
[12:07pm] ardissone|food: this weekend I synced the 1.6 scoping doc and bugzilla with new items from the meet-up notes
[12:07pm] ardissone|food: so all the bugs are now included
[12:08pm] ardissone|food: i didn't remove any of the bugs from the scoping doc that weren't at the meet-up, but they're mostly P3-type prefPane fixes and regression fixes
[12:10pm] ardissone|food: generally speaking, we didn't see any outward signs of progress toward a1 bugs the past week, other than murph's mockups
[12:11pm] ardissone|food: for good news, the two "Camino stops working" bugs got r/sr this week
[12:11pm] ardissone|food: and should land soon, i'd guess
[12:11pm] smorgan: I'm concerned that there's another way of running out of file descriptors though 
[12:11pm] ardissone|food: yeah, me too 
[12:12pm] smorgan: Something related to flash .rsrc files
[12:12pm] ardissone|food: ew
[12:12pm] peeja|salty: can't see the wiki, btw: all empty replies from server
[12:12pm] smorgan: Not sure if it's us or them, but there seem too be an awful lot of them open in that log
[12:12pm] smorgan: And I can get similar duplications by reloading flash sites
[12:12pm] ardissone|food: oh, hmm
[12:13pm] smorgan: I'll try to play with that a bit at some point and see if there really was a difference between 1.5 and 1.5.1
[12:13pm] ardissone|food: yeah, new loads seem blank for me, too 
[12:14pm] ardissone|food: (and cbo seems slow)
[12:14pm] ardissone|food: there wasn't a new flash plugin released during that time, was there?
[12:15pm] smorgan: not sure
[12:16pm] ardissone|food: at any rate, some progress there, which is good, even if we aren't out of the woods
[12:16pm] ardissone|food: the new topcrash from last week is now bumped out iof the top 5
[12:17pm] ardissone|food: i emailed the two people we had emails for, asking for Camino Diagnostics reports and more info, but so far nothing
[12:17pm] ardissone|food: new topcrashes this week in 1) DesktopServicesPriv and 2) random hex + Spotlight + DesktopServicesPriv
[12:18pm] ardissone|food: basically that's the OS, and I don't think there's anything we can do 
[12:20pm] ardissone|food: Gecko has long had a rocky relationship with DesktopServicesPriv
[12:20pm] murph: the desktopservicespriv might be triggered when an Open/Save dialog is open, as that's one common element in the few with comments
[12:21pm] CapnScurvy: Yeah, I remember a bug report or two about that
[12:21pm] smorgan: IIRC, crashes there have been strongly linked to some hack in the past
[12:21pm] ardissone|food: yes, and we've never been able to repro
[12:22pm] smorgan: Some system-wide thing that changes the way open dialogs works. DefaultFolder or somesuch?
[12:22pm] ardissone|food: usually upload file, save file, save pdf
[12:22pm] ardissone|food: that's my best guess, too
[12:24pm] kreeger left the chat room. (Quit: kreeger)
[12:24pm] ardissone|food: i can have sam pull emails if we think it's a worthwhile crash/hypothesis to pursue now
[12:25pm] ardissone|food: (the reporter on the old bug was pretty useless in helping us troubleshoot)
[12:27pm] ardissone|food: website came back up last night
[12:27pm] ardissone|food: the gist of things seemed to be we were too popular and they didn't have a box we could fit on
[12:28pm] ardissone|food: so they got such a box and promised to be very, very good to us
[12:28pm] ardissone|food: free upgrades and such
[12:28pm] ardissone|food: sam thinks maybe even ssl
[12:29pm] ardissone|food: smorgan: so he needs to talk to you about that
[12:29pm] ardissone|food: if you weren't here last week
[12:29pm] ardissone|food: meet-up notes are on the wiki, at http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Camino_Meet-up:2007:Notes
[12:30pm] ardissone|food: (when the wiki comes back  )
[12:30pm] ardissone|food: dun-dun-dun
[12:30pm] ardissone|food: SoC
[12:30pm] peeja|salty: uh, oh
[12:30pm] peeja|salty: um, nothing to say, really.
[12:30pm] peeja|salty: I'm finally settling into the semester
[12:31pm] peeja|salty: so I'll start working again
[12:31pm] ardissone|food: toolbars got sr w/comments yesterday
[12:31pm] peeja|salty: toolbar items are sr+ with changes to make
[12:31pm] peeja|salty: what ardissone|food said
[12:31pm] peeja|salty: they're very small changes
[12:32pm] ardissone|food: i have a very hacky "combine windows" sample script to release when that lands
[12:32pm] ardissone|food: sam wanted us to have a few useful scripts to release at/around the same time as it landed
[12:32pm] peeja|salty: "hacky" as in "doesn't use make window/tab because they don't work"?
[12:32pm] ardissone|food: yeah 
[12:33pm] peeja|salty: i hope I'll have time to make those work eventually
[12:33pm] ardissone|food: (there's one other hack in there, too; i forget)
[12:33pm] CapnScurvy: (as an aside, the wiki seems to work every so often if you keep reloading)
[12:34pm] ardissone|food: can the one be duped to the other, or would you conceivably fix them separately?
[12:34pm] peeja|salty: let's wait until I/we get into the details of it
[12:34pm] ardissone|food: k
[12:36pm] jeff: I pulled a new trunk this mornin' 'n plan t' submit some outstandin' bugs
[12:36pm] ardissone|food:
[12:36pm] jeff: and got all my other crap finished, so now I have a lot more Camino time
[12:36pm] ardissone|food:
[12:37pm] jeff: I was pressured into giving a talk about my SoC experiences last week to my schools ACM chapter
[12:37pm] jeff: the talk should be online sometime soon
[12:37pm] ardissone|food: how did that go?
[12:37pm] jeff: good for writing it up the night before
[12:37pm] ardissone|food: and, did you recruit new developers 
[12:38pm] jeff: no, I told them to stay away from the mean camino developers
[12:38pm] ardissone|food:
[12:38pm] jeff:
[12:38pm] jeff: I only had nice things to say, and some people were interested in doing SoC next summer
[12:39pm] ardissone|food:
[12:39pm] jeff: and I was able to get desmonds tab d&d code to work and I have started to clean that up
[12:39pm] CapnScurvy: excellent!
[12:39pm] ardissone|food: awesome!
[12:39pm] peeja|salty: woohoo!
[12:40pm] CapnScurvy: Tab-dragging be a scurvy wench!
[12:40pm] ardissone|food: (the Gecko thumbnailing code for Tabsposé also got sr in yesterday's queue-clearing)
[12:40pm] jeff: yea I saw that 
[12:40pm] ardissone|food: so hopefully fewer crashes
[12:40pm] smorgan: If only someone were in the process of doing checkins even as we speak
[12:41pm] jeff: thanks smorgan!
[12:41pm] ardissone|food: yeah, if only we had people like that 
[12:41pm] ardissone|food: next up
[12:41pm] ardissone|food: binus is unhappy
[12:41pm] ardissone|food: he's hanging on the grey Apple when booting
[12:42pm] ardissone|food: (sam got a new and improved router last weekend and closed the tree)
[12:42pm] ardissone|food: once the website is straightened out for good, hopefully he can poke that again
[12:43pm] ardissone|food: we have 1.5.x coverage on cb-x1
[12:44pm] ardissone|food: but binus is also our "we have a 10.3 mac now to test releases on if all else fails" for the life of our 1.8branch-based releases
[12:44pm] ardissone|food: so we do want him back
[12:44pm] ardissone|food: pink cleared his sr queue yesterday
[12:44pm] peeja|salty: yarr!
[12:45pm] smorgan: But then I put something in it right away, just for spite
[12:45pm] ardissone|food: indeed
[12:46pm] ardissone|food: you've got string-spam and something from cl in yours
[12:46pm] ardissone|food: so it's not too bad
[12:47pm] peeja|salty: -> lunch.  will read log, if I can get to it. 
[12:47pm] peeja|salty left the chat room.
[12:47pm] ardissone|food: r queue about the same
[12:47pm] CapnScurvy: smorgan: I'm working on a new patch for bug 386466 but I want to talk to you a bit about it later. Still trying to wrap my head around NSScanner
[12:47pm] ardissone|food: we have several un-targeted reviews still
[12:47pm] ardissone|food: so if you have a bit of time, please look at cl's lonely patches
[12:48pm] CapnScurvy: and I'd like to discuss bug 361157 at some point during the meeting while everyone's here.
[12:48pm] ardissone|food: we've uncovered a few web-compat bugs recently
[12:49pm] ardissone|food: (by which i mean we don't behave like every other browser on standard web stuff)
[12:49pm] ardissone|food: and hopefully we can take them for 1.5.2
[12:50pm] ardissone|food: anyone else have specific bugs?
[12:51pm] ardissone|food: have a look at murph's mockup in bug 358798
[12:51pm] ardissone|food: but i think there's general agreement with what smorgan said in comment 6
[12:51pm] pinkerton: i'll look over my ess-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr queue again later if you want
[12:53pm] CapnScurvy: I also like mockup #10.
[12:53pm] ardissone|food: it's one simple-looking patch, one of the web-compat ones :0
[12:53pm] ardissone|food:
[12:57pm] smorgan: Slight tangent--do we know what 1.8.1.8's schedule is?
[12:57pm] ardissone|food: i do not, no
[12:57pm] ardissone|food: i'll poke sam
[12:58pm] smorgan: With fixes for what seem to be the top-two "Camino sucks and doesn't work" bugs (that are actually ours", it would be good to do 1.5.2 soon
[12:58pm] ardissone|food: mhm
[12:59pm] smorgan: If 1.8.1.8 won't be soon, we could work from the last stable snapshot instead
[12:59pm] ardissone|food: which is essentially 1.5.1
[12:59pm] smorgan: Right
[12:59pm] smorgan: I'm fine with 1.5.2 being 1.5.1 but with better Camino code, if that's what it takes
[12:59pm] ardissone|food: the info is probably on wikimo, but things are impossible to find there
[1:00pm] ardissone|food: my guess is that 1817 firedrill bumped back the release some
[1:01pm] ardissone|food: my concern is then us going for a long time without picking up Gecko again (esp if the security bug does land for 1818)
[1:01pm] ardissone|food: but i'll get details from sam and we'll go from there
[1:02pm] ardissone|food: anyone have anything else?
[1:02pm] CapnScurvy: yeah, can we talk about bug 361157 briefly?
[1:03pm] CapnScurvy: I think there's consensus on opening a new tab, rather than forcing a window, if the user has indicated he wants to use tabs (e.g., single-window mode)
[1:03pm] ardissone|food: sometime when we don't run past 1 
[1:03pm] CapnScurvy: *shrug*
[1:03pm] CapnScurvy: whatever.
[1:04pm] ardissone|food: ok, everyone have a good week
[1:05pm] ardissone|food: keep your eyes on patches and review queue
[1:05pm] ardissone|food: ;)
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox