Status Meetings:2008-03-05:Log

From Camino Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[01:26am] You were promoted to operator by chanserv.
[01:26am] You changed the topic to "http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2008-03-05:Agenda".
[11:16am] AmpCoder joined the chat room.
[11:43am] jeff joined the chat room.
[12:00pm] jeff was promoted to operator by you.
[12:00pm] pinkerton joined the chat room.
[12:00pm] pinkerton was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:00pm] murph joined the chat room.
[12:00pm] murph was promoted to operator by you.
[12:01pm] ardissone|away: let's see if smorgan and mento show up soonish
[12:01pm] smorgan joined the chat room.
[12:01pm] smorgan was promoted to operator by you.
[12:02pm] pinkerton: smorgan: i just sr'd the profile patch
[12:02pm] smorgan: thanks
[12:02pm] ardissone|away: yay
[12:06pm] ardissone|away: ok
[12:06pm] ardissone|away: we'll pick up any stragglers, i guess
[12:07pm] ardissone|away: everyone open your Camino 1.6b2 or newer to http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Status_Meetings:2008-03-05:Agenda
[12:07pm] ardissone|away: first up, we declared l10n freeze this weekend (and then immediately broke it and declared it again)
[12:08pm] pinkerton: lol
[12:08pm] ardissone|away: apple also finally released an AppleGlot that works on recent Macs/OSes
[12:08pm] ardissone|away: so that's nice
[12:09pm] ardissone|away: we're very close to 1.6b3 otherwise, at least code-wise
[12:10pm] ardissone|away: we have a number of "process" things that we'll have to hammer out once the code is done
[12:10pm] ardissone|away: but we should strive to hit those last b3 bugs this week
[12:11pm] ardissone|away: sam's got some icons, but only large sizes currently
[12:11pm] smorgan: Do we have anything left blocking spinning?
[12:11pm] ardissone|away: relnotes
[12:11pm] ardissone|away: and
[12:11pm] ardissone|away: decisions on http://tinyurl.com/3x2uz2
[12:11pm] ardissone|away: the two code bugs there, at least
[12:11pm] smorgan: oh, feed handlers, right
[12:12pm] ardissone|away: given bz's backlog
[12:12pm] ardissone|away: i don't expect him to get to the xbl regression anytime soon
[12:12pm] ardissone|away: so my feeling is we should take the flashblock patch
[12:12pm] smorgan: okay
[12:13pm] ardissone|away: (bz's estimating may for major Gecko 1.9 patches)
[12:13pm] smorgan: sr+'d
[12:13pm] ardissone|away: i'll start on relnotes tonight
[12:14pm] smorgan: I looked at feed handlers a bit, and I'll try to get back to that on Friday
[12:14pm] ardissone|away: k
[12:14pm] smorgan: which is also when I hope to finish the appcast script
[12:14pm] ardissone|away:
[12:15pm] ardissone|away: sam's been pretty swamped, so i'll also try to implement all my review comments on his bookmarks l10n policy 
[12:15pm] ardissone|away: Gecko 1.8.1.13 is currently planned for 25 Mar
[12:15pm] ardissone|away: so we want to shoot at that for 1.6
[12:16pm] ardissone|away: anything else on 1.6?
[12:17pm] ardissone|away: that select fix is in mento's sr queue; be good to have that for 1.6 final
[12:17pm] ss left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[12:18pm] ardissone|away: we're down to 10 bugs targeted at 1.6 (half are non-code) and another 5 noms
[12:19pm] ardissone|away: nothing really new on 1.5.5
[12:19pm] mento joined the chat room.
[12:19pm] mento was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:19pm] ardissone|away: or really on 1.6b2, as far as i know
[12:20pm] ardissone|away: you might still have snow on the ground, but it's SoC time
[12:20pm] ardissone|away: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode08
[12:20pm] ardissone|away: we have < 2 weeks to get projects to moz
[12:21pm] ardissone|away: i cleaned up our "good bugs and projects" page recently
[12:21pm] ardissone|away: http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/Development:Good_Bugs_and_Projects
[12:21pm] ardissone|away: but people should look at those
[12:21pm] ardissone|away: decide which ones are suitable for SoC
[12:22pm] ardissone|away: propose others, etc.
[12:22pm] pinkerton: has ss said anything about how  many we might be able to get?
[12:22pm] ardissone|away: not to me
[12:22pm] pinkerton: or if we're going to have to fund them under the table?
[12:22pm] pinkerton: how can we best get the word out to see if folks have any other good ideas?
[12:23pm] ardissone|away: (well, we have some nice MoFo donation money now that's completely legal  )
[12:23pm] ardissone|away: dunno?
[12:23pm] ardissone|away: The Camino Blog?
[12:24pm] ardissone|away: wishes irssi hadn't hung on sam 
[12:24pm] ardissone|away: anything else on SoC now?
[12:25pm] ardissone|away: tinderboxen
[12:25pm] ardissone|away: mento: cb-x1 is misbehaving badly 
[12:26pm] ardissone|away: Ts went through the roof on Monday evening on all branches
[12:26pm] mento: huh, it seems to be alive
[12:26pm] ardissone|away: Sam closed a stray window last night
[12:26pm] mento: has anyone tried rebooting it?
[12:26pm] ardissone|away: no
[12:27pm] ardissone|away: i assume sam was reluctant to try that
[12:27pm] ardissone|away: bug 421031 for all interested parties
[12:27pm] mento: well, check for stray processes and excess paging is the next step after closing windows
[12:27pm] mento: then reboot
[12:28pm] ardissone|away: will you have a chance to look at it today?
[12:28pm] mento: prob not
[12:28pm] ardissone|away: k
[12:28pm] ss joined the chat room.
[12:28pm] ss was promoted to operator by chanserv.
[12:29pm] ardissone|away: we'll see if sam can
[12:29pm] ardissone|away: that's really everything I had
[12:30pm] ardissone|away: anyone else have anything?
[12:30pm] pinkerton: i do
[12:30pm] pinkerton: sam was bugging me the other day about anti-phishing
[12:30pm] pinkerton: do we think it's a big deal to get stuff done for that?
[12:31pm] murph: i was actually looking into that a bit...
[12:31pm] smorgan: For 2.0, you mean?
[12:31pm] ardissone|away: do we think other-than-paypal will start complaining?
[12:31pm] pinkerton: getting a key to support whatever firefox and safari are doing with google seems like a good idea, but all the crazy ui ideas for identifying sites seems a waste of time
[12:32pm] ardissone|away: crazy UI = larry?
[12:32pm] ardissone|away: or whatever is in fx2?
[12:32pm] pinkerton: sam referenced http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/03/03/2049205.shtml
[12:32pm] murph: from what I could tell, core does this with the url-classifier component, and it doesn't seem right now that it's exported into any shared library to link against
[12:33pm] ardissone|away: i think the fx2 ui, as it has been described to me, seems reasonable
[12:33pm] ardissone|away: larry and friends (fx3) seems like overkill
[12:33pm] ardissone|away: at the moment
[12:33pm] ardissone|away: and by overkill, i mean "confuse the crap out of people"
[12:33pm] smorgan: Is larry taking over anti-phishing?
[12:33pm] pinkerton: that and what msft is doing with green url bars and the like
[12:33pm] ardissone|away: yeah, that's EV/Larry
[12:34pm] smorgan: Green?
[12:34pm] ardissone|away: yes, green = EV in ie8
[12:34pm] pinkerton: yeah it turns the url bar green if it thinks the site is really who it says it is
[12:34pm] smorgan: Oh, that
[12:34pm] smorgan: Hasn't that approach been widely discredited?
[12:34pm] ardissone|away: fx is doing larry and blue, iirc
[12:34pm] pinkerton: smorgan: yeah 
[12:34pm] ardissone|away: precisely why msft is doing it 
[12:35pm] pinkerton: maybe we just turn the url bar red and make it flash if the url isn't www.paypal.com
[12:35pm] smorgan: I'm all for a big red "for the love of god don't go to this site" bar
[12:35pm] ardissone|away: google publishes the api
[12:35pm] ardissone|away: would it be easier to write to that in cocoa
[12:35pm] ardissone|away: and then connect it to gecko?
[12:36pm] pinkerton: we just need a key that can handle > 10k users
[12:36pm] pinkerton: sam has already started that conversation with them
[12:36pm] ardissone|away: than to get url-classifier working for us?
[12:36pm] pinkerton: is that a good SoC project for someone?
[12:37pm] ardissone|away: is not familiar with our network/pageloading
[12:37pm] murph: in general, using the API directly means maintaining a local blacklist database, parsed from XML wire format, and syncing it with Google periodically
[12:37pm] pinkerton: sounds pretty easy
[12:38pm] ardissone|away: CoreData
[12:38pm] ardissone|away: re SoC, it seems like the questions are
[12:38pm] ardissone|away: do we want it in 2.0
[12:38pm] ardissone|away: when is 2.0
[12:39pm] ardissone|away: experience has taught us that SoC projects are ready to ship in the following winter
[12:40pm] ardissone|away: if murph can get it working while we finish up 1.6
[12:40pm] ardissone|away: that seems like a better option
[12:40pm] ardissone|away: based on that logic
[12:40pm] ardissone|away: (imo)
[12:41pm] ardissone|away: s/working/working or mostly working/
[12:42pm] murph: I can definitely give it a go...
[12:43pm] murph: I was also taking a look at .Mac syncing, so whichever one you'd want more I'd be glad to work on 
[12:47pm] ardissone|away: thoughts? 
[12:48pm] murph: i mean we eventually want both, but which takes precedence?
[12:49pm] pinkerton: the phishing stuff doesn't seem useful on a daily basis, compared to .mac sync, but when you need it....
[12:49pm] pinkerton: esp since the ars guy got hit already.
[12:50pm] ss: Yeah, sorry I was gone.
[12:51pm] ss: The green is EV certs
[12:51pm] ss: \Blue is SSL certs
[12:51pm] ss: And red is when it's malware/phishing
[12:51pm] ss: I don't care as much about the certs
[12:51pm] ss: Only about the phishing/malware
[12:51pm] pinkerton: yeah
[12:51pm] ss: And it's a "security" feature.
[12:52pm] ss: I think we need to push for it sooner rather than later (in 2.0)
[12:52pm] ss: And then move to .mac sync
[12:52pm] pinkerton: ok
[12:52pm] pinkerton: any luck on the key?
[12:52pm] ss: Not yet.
[12:52pm] ss: MoCo's going to help me though.
[12:52pm] pinkerton: k
[12:52pm] ss: Apparently there's some contractual things that have to be done.
[12:53pm] ss: And for testing, we can use another key. They offer dev ones.
[12:53pm] ss: Anyway, sooner vs later. 
[12:53pm] ss: I think it's too big for SoC.
[12:54pm] murph: sounds good to me, I'll get moving on it.
[12:54pm] ss: Sweet
[12:54pm] ss: I'll restart cb-xserve later today.
[12:54pm] ardissone|away: ok, anything else from anyone?
[12:56pm] ardissone|away: well then
[12:56pm] ardissone|away: if you've got 1.6b3 bugs (ie., me, sam, stuart), please work on those
[12:57pm] ardissone|away: if not, please help review
[12:57pm] ardissone|away: and everyone have a good week!
[12:57pm] ardissone|away: (and think about SoC projects)
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox